Check list for being legal

Mike H

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most builders /landscapers etc are exempt because they sell service not a product. Eg, builder uses landrover and trailer to take digger to work for him to use. Job 101km away. No tacho needed.

Log seller uses landy and trailer to deliver logs 1 km away. Logs are including in driving for hire or reward so tacho needed, unless you can blag forestry exemption.

That's my understanding anyway.

In my case, I use trailer to collect a saw log for my ow use. No tacho needed. I use trailer to collect saw log fir someone else and get paid for it. Tacho needed. Except of course that they were definitely for my use weren't they. That's a good blag if your heading in the right direction anyway.

Thanks Alycidon

So if you deliver logs to a customer using just the landrover.... no taco required?

Also, if you are collecting wood with the trailer, and bringing it home for processing, you are not yet towing a trailer for 'reward' so don't need a taco for that journey... correct?

If you are just using a Landrover and no trailer then under 3.5 tonnes so no tacho needed.

A

You are fine with C1E pulling with a landy at max train weight (7500kg I believe) no tacho/notes required operating within 50k radius of base

If you are carrying equipment that the DRIVER will use in the course of his work that is correct, but if you are carrying equipment for use by others than Tacho is needed. My local mower shop recently got fined over 2k for delivering mowers using a trailer but with no tacho. He was delivering for hire/reward, ir selling the mower. If he was taking the mower to site to use it himself on the site then no tacho.

If you are carrying any sort of goods that you are selling then its Tacho if over 3.5t gross fully laden. This is irrespective of the weight ot the goods carried.

Say a big Audi A8 weighing perhaps 3.2 tonnes could only pull a wheelbarrow without needing a Tacho. That was how the Police explained it to me when I got stopped.

A

How do you go about having a tacho fitted? Can you get cheap diy ones?

They have to be calibrated and certified by a licensed firm. You can fit secondhand ones but I doubt you'll find one for a LR, it still needs calibrating.

Post 2006 vehicle and you must have a digital one and a driver's card and I suspect you'll need the download software or a firm to do it for you. I've avoided needing a digital card so far.

So any of us using a trailer to deliver logs almost certainly should have a tacho.

How do you go about having a tacho fitted? Can you get cheap diy ones?

It your total maximum weight is over 3.5 tonnes then yes. Police and the Ministry ( VOSA) are clamping down on this quite hard. When I got pulled off the M6 it was a Police training day, must have been 30+ coppers there learning the inns and outs of small trailers.

Tachos have to be fitted by an approved Tacho fitting centre, they also have to be rechecked every 2 years. It is not a DIY job.

A

Edited by Alycidon