Best log splitter for around the £400-£500 mark?

Devs

Thanks, yes I've taken a look at screwfix/machine mart/ b&q's offerings but do not know if they are worth buying or not.

I just thought it would be worth posting here to see if anyone has / uses a spliter for around this price point thats good.

The Forest Master, read well too me but again I've never heard of them or know if they are any good.

Trying to get away from the axe now Jon, but appreciate where you are coming from mate.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends what you are splitting, if its big rings then get a vertical one if its 12 " max timber then you can get away with a horizontal. I've had one of these for years for home use. its never missed a beat.

7 Ton Electric Log Splitter including Stand for Titan Pro 2200w Splitter PDI | eBay

it will split clean timber with ease and some branch unions, but it is limited i pick and choose the timber i split, horrible big stuff gets done in the yard with a proper splitter:biggrin:

Thanks for all the replies gents, appreciated. Its encouraging to hear that some folk have had successes with machines around this price point. I'll continue my research tomorrow and hopefully find something that will server me for a few years.

Cheers!

A few arbtalkers have this one, me included the Handy Pro 7 ton vertical

Here is a video

It is aimed at domestic rather than commercial users and does a good job given the price.

I had a 5 ton horizontal first, but I find the vertical easier to use especially on big rings.

I bought mine from Riko http://www.alpinetractors.com/product.asp?prodsect=72&pdt=292 since they provide good backup and can obtain all of the spares (I have need neither). This model has been selling for several years now.

For sure it is not as fast as a tractor splitter and probably wouldn't last for 10,000 cubic metres but for your budget it is probably one of the best value machines out there and for and mine has been running fine for quite a while now.

Bikewoo might be along soon since he bought one as well.

This is the one that caught my eye and falls into my price bracket: Forest Master's FM16T

8 Ton Duocut Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter Splits Like 16 Ton

Had one for a year and can recommend it. Two speed so if you have something easy to split then the faster ram speed but lower pressure splits it. If it stalls then pull the lever a bit more and force jumps up to 8 ton. With the two wedges it splits which ever end is easiest. Never been beaten so far. Splits oak and birch forks, big chunks of (2 ft) spruce. Limit is what I can lift on to it.

Had a 12t 2200w vertical for 3 years, but because I had to use a very long extension cord I had a lot of loss of power and in the end it burned the electric motor. Wasn't economical to replace it. Was gutted because it did a very good job on big beech and pak rings. Went the fiskars route for a year (only for domestic use) but decided to buy a bit bigger (but also a bit more expensive) petrol powered splitter on a road chassis. Bought a rabaud vertical 12t (but noticed the tonnage doesn't mean a thing). Very nice machine, but to expensive for home use -even second hand ones. That said, I still use the fiskars a lot.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1427412413.520752.jpg.4ff7fb1765a9f5d91c26ee1b95f5b87d.jpg