formulae for selecting the length of a nail?...

SteveA

Here in the States we have these really clever devices called tape measures. Usually if one can measure the distance between the beginning and end of what is being nailed the right size nail or screw can be determined.

easy-lift guy

Yes, but if you were nailing 1" boards to a 10" beam, you wouldn't use 11" nails would you Ted??

The thread is about how much of the nail you need into the 10"beam to secure the 1" board, I believe :001_smile:

Edited by skyhuck

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, but if you were nailing 1" boards to a 10" beam, you would use 11" nails would you Ted??

The thread is about how much of the nail you need into the 10"beam to secure the 1" board, I believe :001_smile:

Everything is bigger in the USA mate.

This is something that baffles me....

"What size nail should I be using?"

In this case I'm wanting to fix some 1" thick larch boarding to roof joists..... should the nails be 50mm long, 60mm long?, 65mm long, 75mm long? etc.

Is there a secret builders code/ formulae for working out the nail length?!

[ATTACH]178387[/ATTACH]

Hi,

I was a carpenter & joiner for four years!

Normally you would go as long as you can providing the nail wouldn't hit through the other side of what you are fixing to,

I normally use a rough guage of whatever thickness of material to be fixed times 3 gives me a length of nail.

Ie fencing rails 38mm so 100mm screws,

Gravel board 25mm so 75mm screws,

When you are talking about planed or second fix timber, skirting architrave etc I would only double length

So 25mm skirting would use 50mm nail

Hope this helps

Hi,

I was a carpenter & joiner for four years!

Normally you would go as long as you can providing the nail wouldn't hit through the other side of what you are fixing to,

I normally use a rough guage of whatever thickness of material to be fixed times 3 gives me a length of nail.

Ie fencing rails 38mm so 100mm screws,

Gravel board 25mm so 75mm screws,

When you are talking about planed or second fix timber, skirting architrave etc I would only double length

So 25mm skirting would use 50mm nail

Hope this helps

That's great thankyou :thumbup:

Also tallies with what others are saying.

I'll be using 75mm nails.... annular ring ones so they should also resist pull out.

Se7endevil's 1/3. 2/3 is a good rule of thumb that we would normally use.

It might also be prudent to consider the following and modify your choice if necessary.

Thickness of what you are nailing into

The strength you need to securing whatever you are fixing.

Wood you are nailing into. ie hard or soft, good or poor condition.

Will you ever need to remove the nails.

Nail type Ring or plain. Rough or smooth.

When we secure polythene tunnel sheets we consider all the above. It even makes a difference what part of the tunnel you are securing

morning all how is the head and bj's ??

i would use what i have lying around in workshop usually a box of 4 inch and a box of 2 1/2 nails if galvanised will never pull out.enjoy your day folks im off to cut some logs as need some peace after scotland loosing again at the rugby (married to an english wife!!!!)jake:thumbup:

during my apprenticeship days i was told to think in thirds.

the plank you are nailing should be one third and two thirds goes into the wall.

65mm or 2 1/2" should just about do it though i reckon.

Spot on, this is also what i got told during my apprenticeship.

No bj for me, bloody arguing all night again.:thumbdown:

Off to tidy up after concreting yesterday.

Yes, but if you were nailing 1" boards to a 10" beam, you wouldn't use 11" nails would you Ted??

Depends on the type of wood and purpose served. I use glue and screws more often than nails since nails commonly can and will do more damage than a screw. I still use a measuring tape as the final call, if I am not sure.

easy-lift guy