My first Video

Mike Hill

Skyhuck as you have previously said you can not tell what is happening from a still photograph.

Why don't you ask why I was in that position.

Also if that is the worst fault that you can find with my work then I'm not doing too much wrong!

By the way what is wrong with that position- NOTHING

You are disagreeing with me about rigging and I am correct- ask Newton, ISA HSE, AFAG, NPTC etal

I know nothing of your work, as you have not posted, pic's or vids.

Is Mike a magician?? if you a are right how come it all went so well??:confused1:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid I used to go fishing with a proper boffin mate of mine. One day he scientifically worked out how to cross the stream on a fallen tree without falling in. Three steps across and he fell in, I laughed my tits off..... Its all about having 'the feel' for the job.

Now id of loved to see that Mick, very amusing mate

HSE!! Given their latest track record in the courts (see Forestry Journal) I shouldnt hold too much store in their findings.

A few years back, we didnt have fancy rigging gear, blocks, strops and so on. Yet we still didnt demolish the neighbourhood. There was no NPTC rigging courses, yet we managed to lower just as big stuff off under control, not as easily maybe, but we did it. We're still here to tell the tale, and more experienced. This is tree work, we cut trees, we dont a piggin degree to do it.

Andy you obviously have not read it, THEY did not do it, they published it.

This is getting a bit silly.

Mike's vid is a great collection of techniques of a real pro in action. You don't get like that overnight, and I don't think any of us think that less experienced lads should try and copy him as soon as they qualify.

And that's all I have to say about that....

sorry mate, you're wrong

No I,m not.

If the section has accelerated, which it has if it is falling it now has converted its potential energy to kinetic being accelerated @9.8m/s/s

This increased kinetic energy has to go somewhere which you are trying reduce by the friction device.

The friction device turns some of the kinetic energy to heat energy( feel your portawrap next time)

If the section is being slowed earlier by rope and not falling, the kinetic energy value will be smaller as it has been decelerating sooner so the forces are lower.

No I,m not.

If the section has accelerated, which it has if it is falling it now has converted its potential energy to kinetic being accelerated @9.8m/s/s

This increased kinetic energy has to go somewhere which you are trying reduce by the friction device.

The friction device turns some of the kinetic energy to heat energy( feel your portawrap next time)

If the section is being slowed earlier by rope and not falling, the kinetic energy value will be smaller as it has been decelerating sooner so the forces are lower.

if gcse physics weren't beyond me i'd continute debating with you, but they are so lets just agree that im right:001_smile:

I know nothing of your work, as you have not posted, pic's or vids.

Is Mike a magician?? if you a are right how come it all went so well??:confused1:

Skyhuck as I said with the forces and size sections we normally work with, it should go fine. BUT WHY INCREASE THE FORCES WHEN YOU CAN REDUCE THEM

In keeping with trying to keep the discusion about the subtle differences in rigging techniques employed by others going!

I've looked at the video again, disregarding what pulley Mike is using or the fact he hasn't done his oil cap up properly,,,,

The setup is not as tight as i'd do it, yet i don't think a greater force is being introduced, its hard for me and my uneducated brain to explain its just something i feel is due to center of gravity of the piece being lowered off.

This picture shows how i'd set up for snatching, the way the piece is tied of if I moved the half hitch preceding the bowline up another foot i'd still be below the cog and would not be increasing the fall distance of the piece before it loads the pulley, but i'd be increasing the amount of rope between the pulley and tied off piece and some say giving more line to absorb the force although it wouldn't be greater, if that makes sense.

Look again at Mikes video particularly at 4:20 and 4:40 you'll see the slack between the pulley and log being taken up, i reckon by the weight of the bollard dropping and pulling it through, but it demonstartes the arc the piece takes around the pulley/pivot, which you cannot change as this will always be the logs center of gravity no matter how you tie it, unless there is a greater distance than the center of gravity and pivot point.