My first Video

Mike Hill

wether or not the forces could be reduced, its a good video that demonstrates quality rigging and teamwork gradually slowing the limb down without shaking the climber off his perch

yes the forces could have been reduced, but the lowering by mike and his groundy was well within the kits and the teams limits so no harm done (?)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry thought that your post:

Jeazzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its no wonder so few post vids!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it was awesome, if I wanted advice on doing the job I would sooner ask a guy like Mike than the NPTC.

was just that.

No, I was praising Mike and other experienced workers, ABOVE the training providers.

The training has a place, but in my view it is only a starting point.

Just wondering how many others are going to gang up on Blake? :001_smile:

BTW I know the real answer since I have a degree in Astrophysics and a masters in Particle Physics and am now in the process of a PHD in BBD (bacon butty dynamics for the dweebs) but since no one would understand it I'm not telling. :001_smile:

Andy you obviously have not read it, THEY did not do it, they published it.

It was the only article I had time to read, I refer to the corrupted photographic evidence the HSE submitted to the courts, and the judge subsequently threw out. I take it by they you mean FJ, not the HSE?

Actually..since I am waiting for my Ballistics to come out of the Dryer,if you have more rope out,ie al longer distance between the Block and attachment point.As the rope is pretensioned by the groundy prior to wrapping it in the lowering Device,is falling distance between the peice being lowered and Block negated some what by the rope "recoiling"?

Not sure.

Actually..since I am waiting for my Ballistics to come out of the Dryer,if you have more rope out,ie al longer distance between the Block and attachment point.As the rope is pretensioned by the groundy prior to wrapping it in the lowering Device,is falling distance between the peice being lowered and Block negated some what by the rope "recoiling"?

Not sure.

Who threw you a bun ??

I have also been climbing for 6 years, in tree work for 9, I dont claim to be the worlds best climber but I do love rigging, the more difficult ther job the more interesting it is, however, I also love simplicity and I think finding the simplest way to complete a job safely is the real challenge of dismantling.

I did my first speedline job a few months back, I had gone 5 years without doing one because I had always found a simpler way, eventualy a job came along where a speedline was the simplest way.

I think what you can see in this vid is the simplest way of getting the job done.

and if you think there's too much slack you should have seen some of the stuff I did today, we were felling out tops of a multistemmed euc from 8 feet above the pulley... Why? because it was the simplest way of getting it down the pieces only weighed 50-100kg and there were plenty of leaves on them to slow their swing.

I am sure that Mike understands the laws of physics and that if her was butt hitching 1ton lumps of oak hed use a bigger pulley and have less slack, but as he's a seasoned pro he's learned where rules can be bent and where they can't, just like a few others on here.:001_smile:

It was the only article I had time to read, I refer to the corrupted photographic evidence the HSE submitted to the courts, and the judge subsequently threw out. I take it by they you mean FJ, not the HSE?

Andy, I don't know the case you are talking about.

I am refering to the Rigging research, commissioned by HSE and completed by Liam at Treevolution in conjunction with Brudi & Partner TreeConsult.

361 pages, available by download on the HSE website.

I have also been climbing for 6 years, in tree work for 9, I dont claim to be the worlds best climber but I do love rigging, the more difficult ther job the more interesting it is, however, I also love simplicity and I think finding the simplest way to complete a job safely is the real challenge of dismantling.

I did my first speedline job a few months back, I had gone 5 years without doing one because I had always found a simpler way, eventualy a job came along where a speedline was the simplest way.

I think what you can see in this vid is the simplest way of getting the job done.

and if you think there's too much slack you should have seen some of the stuff I did today, we were felling out tops of a multistemmed euc from 8 feet above the pulley... Why? because it was the simplest way of getting it down the pieces only weighed 50-100kg and there were plenty of leaves on them to slow their swing.

I am sure that Mike understands the laws of physics and that if her was butt hitching 1ton lumps of oak hed use a bigger pulley and have less slack, but as he's a seasoned pro he's learned where rules can be bent and where they can't, just like a few others on here.:001_smile:

Personally I would not be bending the rules in a video to show to prospective clients