My first Video

Mike Hill

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did it have to come down?

:001_tongue:

Great vid Mike. Some lovely little touches on there!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L2yYsoDFB4]YouTube - Tredoktor[/ame]

Top handled saw handling? Looks a bit like poor practice to me. Holding a branch with the right hand and cuts with left hand only on the saw. You cant tell me that is safe practice. Any NPTC instructor would not teach that and an assessor would not pass it. He is not even wearing chainsaw gloves. It may look slick but its not what should be seen as good practice.

Top handled saw handling? Looks a bit like poor practice to me. Holding a branch with the right hand and cuts with left hand only on the saw. You cant tell me that is safe practice. Any NPTC instructor would not teach that and an assessor would not pass it. He is not even wearing chainsaw gloves. It may look slick but its not what should be seen as good practice.

Is that a serious reply? You cannot argue with Mikes smoothness and ease with the saw, there was a mixture of one handed chainsaw use and two, it all looked good to me. Only those with less experience should stick to the basic principals taught by the nptc. Using the saw left handed in that scenario allows the branch to be gripped without crossing your arms a safer alternative.

As for chainsaw gloves since when have they been essential ppe?

Any assesor or instructor who sees this video and says Mike is not fit to operate a saw or undertake tree work safely should hang his head in shame.

This is the reality of modern treework.

I do see your point though, i know its how a seansoned treeworker would undetake a task, but for someone starting out and seeing this video could see something different.

No 2 treeworkers are the same we all have our own way of doing things, to stick rigidly to best practice is impractical, treework is complex and varied we have to adapt and find ways to carry out our job safely suited to our individuality.

If that makes sense?

Some good rigging and climbing work there and very nice video work and I like the soundtrack

. My take on the one-handed saw work is this; the ones that were hand held are the branches that were at an awkward angle and didn't need to be held because the others were cut straight off and dropped. To some extent I agree with Philip and I think that it would have been unnecessary had you stropped round the tree and slackened off the life line so that you could use the saw with both hands. That would have been my way round it but like Marc says its different for each climber. Since nicking my neck with an 020 from kickback (with both hands on the saw!) I don't think I've done one handed since. I will endeavor to find a way to position myself to cut 2 handed and last resort is rig it out - but that's me. On a conifer like this I'd spike up with a steel strop, removing every limb until its topped out then stage it down with two points of attachment - is this acceptable practice?

Regarding the chainsaw gloves it depends if the risk assessment deems them necessary so they are not compulsory PPE. I only use them for ground work on thorns and stuff.

You're a lucky sod getting to work in places like that all the time though mike!