Tetanus Vaccination is for life, not just for School!

Katie at FoxMedics

That sounds like a post from an angry man who sat down at the computer when he should possibly have stayed away from it!

It was a light hearted post from a mildly frustrated but deeply contented man with a demanding wife and an even more demanding 3yo daughter who sometimes has nostalgic memories of a previous carefree, wistful and wasteful existence of beer, sport, loose women and video games.

I'm going out to the yard to chip now, doubtless I'll see my longboard which has not been wet for way too long and sigh deeply!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tetanus looks a very painful and horrible way to go that is for sure.

Piece from NHS website--

Clostridium tetani spores can live for a long time outside the body and are widespread in the environment. They are commonly found in the manure of animals such as horses and cows, and in contaminated soil.

After they enter the body, the tetanus bacteria quickly multiply and release tetanospasmin, a type of poison known as a neurotoxin. Tetanospasmin can slowly travel through nerves, until it reaches the spinal cord or brainstem.

The neurotoxin blocks the control of the nerve cells in the spinal cord and brainstem that control the muscles, causing them to be overactive. This leads to the muscle spasm and muscle stiffness associated with tetanus.

Cuts and wounds

One of the most common ways the tetanus bacteria enter the body is through a cut or a puncture wound. Even minor puncture wounds, such as piercing your skin with the thorn of a rose, could allow the bacteria to enter your body.

Tetanus bacteria thrive and breed in places where there is little or no oxygen. This is why the infection often occurs in deep cuts and wounds. To help prevent a tetanus infection developing, always ensure that cuts and wounds are thoroughly cleaned.

(Ref-http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tetanus/Pages/Causes.aspx)

Requires a deep puncture wound, without bleeding, for the bacteria to be able to remain in-situ and thrive in the absence of atmospheric oxygen, as I seem to recall.

Tetanus bacteria thrive and breed in places where there is little or no oxygen. This is why the infection often occurs in deep cuts and wounds. To help prevent a tetanus infection developing, always ensure that cuts and wounds are thoroughly cleaned.

(Ref-http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tetanus/Pages/Causes.aspx)

Looks like Difflock is spot on. I imagine if the wound bleeds the bacteria are more likely to get swept out before the would closes.

It was a light hearted post from a mildly frustrated but deeply contented man with a demanding wife and an even more demanding 3yo daughter who sometimes has nostalgic memories of a previous carefree, wistful and wasteful existence of beer, sport, loose women and video games.

Ugh, is that all.

Sure you're grand then! :001_smile:

Looks like Difflock is spot on. I imagine if the wound bleeds the bacteria are more likely to get swept out before the would closes.

Don't let your imagination make that decision. A deep wound and or puncture are not pre requisite for the infection. The bacteria is forever present the simple fact that a bleeding wound will sweep away said bacteria much less anything else is a falicy at best. Take care.

easy-lift guy

Used to have injections every 3 years (as per recommendations), then was told to go back after 5 years, when I did I was told to come back in 10 years. 10 Years after my last injection I was told to go way as I had enough cover for life.

Likewise. I must have had 10 jabs by time was 30, then went to A&E after trying to scale a wall that had broken glass cemented into the top of it and was told 'you don't need a tetanus jab; not now or ever again'.

I am now confused: it's been 24 years or so since a jab and I work in a high risk industry. Do I need jabs or not?