Trailer Brakes while parked backwards down hill

Stephen Blair

Speaking as someone who has taken 2 :blushing: trailer tests I would say that this sort of information would be far too practical for a modern., Eco friendly driving test!

This thread goes to show that I am right not trusting handbrakes, I alwAys leave vehicles in gear and chock the trailers.

I agree, this is definitely not a subject covered in trailer training or testing

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen somewhere comments about IW type over-run brakes not working in reverse, with the result that they have dragged the towing vehicle backwards down a steep hill, after forward/upward momentum has been lost.

But surely if one smartly engages reverse and bangs the telescopic coupling up tight, it should bring the trailer brakes on (on the "over-run") and then hold parked on the hill.

Though with less braking efficency than if moving forwards?

is this correct?

Dean i wouldn't apologise, they say you must put chocks behind your wheels uncoupling up hill!

We don't have to do this with cars!!

The procedure is to let it roll back so it engages then chock!

As far as I'm concerned that means brakes don't work in reverse.

We have established that as the trailer rolls back ,with the handbrake on ,the auto reverse mechanism on the rear shoe operates,effectively releasing the brakes.

If the handbrake has been correctly applied,the energy store is in the overcentre position.

When the auto reverse feature releases the brakes , the spring in the energy store extends,appling more pressure to the brakes,and you will see the handbrake lever go up some more.

You should have been eating humble pie with your coffee.:001_rolleyes:

It would be possible to over adjust the brakes so that the hand brake lever could not over centre and the energy store not able to take up the slack.

Another possibility is the trailer builds up too much moment, in the short distance required to activate the auto reverse and the brakes not able to hold it back.Hence the suggestion to reverse towing vehicle back with the trailer handbrake on before uncoupling the trailer.