life after climbing

Ian Clarke

hello all.

I am looking for some advice and experiences from you guys and gals.

iam a climber have been so for 3 years now and have recently picked up some injuries * some tree related and some not* and it got me in to thinking. what to do after climbing.

my ideas so far are

studying towards a level 5/6 qualification and get more of a desk job with in arb/forestry * i am currently studying for the ISA certified arborist exam. and know the level 5/6 will be a long way away.

get my teaching/assessor qualifications and maybey work at a college or independent training facility.

look at a forwarder driving course and move to a job with less stress's and strains on my body.

but what other ideas have people got and what have you done was there a course or something that helped. I dont want to get to a point of not being able to climb and not have something lined up or in the pipe line. if that makes sense.

many thanks

Ian C

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The old analogy of those that can no longer do - teach, well that's half my plan and the other is get the business to a point where I can have others capable of doing these things while I supervise or am doing less strenuous activities.

3 years isn't that long to be hurting yourselfunless you have been unlucky, 17 years is just say starting to show on me now.

hello all.

I am looking for some advice and experiences from you guys and gals.

iam a climber have been so for 3 years now and have recently picked up some injuries * some tree related and some not* and it got me in to thinking. what to do after climbing.

my ideas so far are

studying towards a level 5/6 qualification and get more of a desk job with in arb/forestry * i am currently studying for the ISA certified arborist exam. and know the level 5/6 will be a long way away.

get my teaching/assessor qualifications and maybey work at a college or independent training facility.

look at a forwarder driving course and move to a job with less stress's and strains on my body.

but what other ideas have people got and what have you done was there a course or something that helped. I dont want to get to a point of not being able to climb and not have something lined up or in the pipe line. if that makes sense.

many thanks

Ian C

Getting a desk job in higher management appears to be everybody's get of climbing plan. In my honest opinion keep that money you'll spend on a level 6 qualification and put it into a retirement fund it'll be more use.

These jobs are few and far between.