ldv power steering

jose

I have a 05 LDV crewcab tipper 35k on the clock.

My problem is that the powersteering works sometimes then will completely not work the next.

Also sometimes as you go round a roundabout as i am turning its ok, then feels like i am getting resistance, which if i add more elbow grease alomost feels like i brake through and then the resistance goes away.

anybody got any ideads?

I cant see any leaks and the level is good.

Cheers

Jose

air in the hydraulic steering system making it heavy?? try jacking up the front and steering it from lock to lock for a few mins and see if any air bubbles appear in the reservior.

What that man says...

also Belt tension and fluid level

"air in the system" can be introduced by someone turning the steering with the engine switched off

Holding it on full lock for ages - rarely appears in the vehicle manual anymore, typical of throwaway society that never reads anything. Holding the wheel at full lock is BAD! Knackers the PAS pump - you can hear the thing straining; you only have to knock it off a little to safeguard the pump. Next time you're at a supermarket, hang around the mothers and babies parking bays for a demonstration! Not that this is neccessarily your problem mind. :001_smile:

PS: Oh, GM electro-assist steering excluded.

if the belts tight and the fluids ok it will be the pump thats knackered....

iv just changed one and there little tw@ts to do... end up changing the ball joints aswell:thumbdown:

ldvs are renown for probs with the power stearing pumps being knackered:thumbdown::scared1:

I have bumped into this on several Land Rover products.

These days all I do is to take the flow and return pipes off the steering box and use an air line to back flush the box.It is no doubt dangerous and totally bad practice but seems to work.My impression is that this problem occurs after the vehicle has been stalled and the pump has "kicked back"

Hope this helps :blushing::blushing: