Beech Highline

scotspine1

Recent storm damaged Beech job from a place where we do a lot of work.

When I arrived at this tree and saw the crack it was a fell, no debate. Spoke to the client told him we'd need to fell the tree and he'd lose a lot of his old Azaleas and rare Rhodies plus a few other rare mature small trees. He asked if there was any other way to bring the tree down, so I went back up to the tree and decided to give a highline a go.

Only the third time I've used one in 18 years of climbing. Set a static Kernmantle between two 70ft Norway Spruces this allowed me to work on the Beech safely and bring it down causing minimum damage to underplantings. I was also using a breakaway lanyard of my own design for work positioning in the tree.

Hopefully the pics and vid paint a clearer picture.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlEniHedlx4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlEniHedlx4[/ame]

highline6.jpg.28a0c40c450fed85db65505365293d12.jpg

highline1.jpg.6394a30c225d2eef2116c5236fa91362.jpg

highline8.jpg.d3f99b34aa47843793e34ef4027620a1.jpg

highline5.jpg.4aaab445f08f3a6e16c5ee0889af29fd.jpg

highline3.jpg.26201ae71f3615e894a652222f1e2932.jpg

highline2.jpg.d0758b1e3f6e88eb74f459cd2a511f50.jpg

Edited by scotspine1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool video tim.

Only ever used a skyline once. It seems round here that when you need one there's never nothing near by to do it to!! Then when you don't need it there's loads of options :)

Good stuff mate. What's your YouTube channel name? Your videos just play on the arbtalk site :)

wow - one of the best vids I've seen on here. Bit of rope and ingenuity and it's doable without a second mortgage.

Are many trees like that with a decayed trunk but top branches looking good?

There was a thread a while ago about a climber bottling a big lime with a root plate lifting up in the wind and a guy replied saying he was in Germany and his mates were asked to spike a tree like one in vid, then he refused and someone else did it and half the tree tipped and broke up while he was lanyarded in, fubared his leg, no more climbing

Edited by tree-fancier123

cheers folks

What type of pulley set up did you have for your climbing line attachment to the highline?

Much bounce open it?

rope was running through the DMM Hitchclimber pulley, Petzl William ball lock on the highline. The krab gives you just the right amount of friction to keep the anchor in place, but if you want to move it along the line - you create slack and just kind of whip it along the highline until you find a good place for it.

huge amount of bounce, the distance between the Spruce trees was about 250ft+, but we took as much slack out the system as we could using a quick 3:1 and a Port a wrap. The Port a wrap is not being used as the main anchor, there's another hitch system/sling about 6ft up holding the line. On the other tree a running bow.

59766c526696d_runningbow.jpg.e8c6d0bf22e5c4ba25450f1c4acc8b98.jpg

highline7.jpg.83ab2ba7414c3047f99f1db6ee3de9c6.jpg

portyhighline.jpg.447510e1a62d1cfa663944c69803e942.jpg