transit drivers?

Tom D

I am replacing my LDV soon, and would like oppinions on the transits, I will probably go for an 04 - 06 plate depending on price. What I'd like to know is are the 90hp models any good towing with a load or the 115 or the 125? anybody got one?:001_smile:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am replacing my LDV soon, and would like oppinions on the transits, I will probably go for an 04 - 06 plate depending on price. What I'd like to know is are the 90hp models any good towing with a load or the 115 or the 125? anybody got one?:001_smile:

My mate rung me to ask if he could tip in my yard last night, I went down this lunch and the ground was all chewed up where he had obviously been stuck and by the look of it, very stuck.

I wouldn't mind but the ground was flat and not really muddy.

My advice is get yourself a landrover Tom :001_tongue:

Only problem then is you'll get fed up of towing transits off grass verges

They all have one major problem, eating clutches, and the more power you go for the worse it is.

Not good for towing imo, too revvy and not torquey enough. I would rather have the ldv or iveco in that age bracket.

I think that unless you never go off road and are prepared to have a big fuel bill, dont get a transit. If you are going for one, get as powerful as you can, and a stack of spare clutches. I was shocked at the amount of diesel the one i drove the other day used- standard 125 van, not particularly loaded, and I am used to the MPG of a landy!

The older smiley face style transits had a completely different engine, still 90hp but a real chuggy plodding type engine. The newer shape 90hp is just gutless and needs a damn good thrashing to get anywhere.

I'm not sure what the mpg is but my LDV only gives around 18mpg so the transit surely cant be worse thatn that. I am thinking of a transit because the rear chassis is a similar size to my ldv and I am planning on keeping the tipper / toolbox and just buying a chassiscab. If the ivecos are a similar size then I could go for one of them instead.

Re the clutches, are they a recall type part? ie are the replacement cluches better?

Not good for towing imo, too revvy and not torquey enough. I would rather have the ldv or iveco in that age bracket.

I thought the LDV had the same engine,clutch gearbox as the transit?

You can buy a solid heavy duty clutch and flywheel but not sure how much better they are, if you change clutch without the flywheel then it wont last very long apparently!

Seen a few iveco's with snapped cam belts so if you buy one check it out.

Buy a 125 then get it chipped :sneaky2: