Justifying a big saw.

Hotrod81

I have used it for over half a day and that was up in the tree then ringing up the butt. Deep joy to then pick up the teeny little lightweight 660 afterwards :biggrin:

Not a lot of joy to be had climbing with one, is there?

I'd personally avoid a 88 for firewood, they seem to cost you money just to look at them. Ringing up, you practically need a direct feed from the fuel pump.

The 660's are still available at some dealers, we recently had the choice between the two, the old and the new, so stuck with the proven model.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of the work was done by Wicked Work Saws, with a few tweaks by myself.

The scary thing is that is the exact same shirt I am wearing in the 372 video. Those videos are 5-6 years apart(though only uploaded 3 years apart). Well made shirt that. Still have it.

Very nice wyk. I really should get round to rebuilding my 361, I loved that saw.

Seriously considering a dolmar 9010:thumbup:

Having a demo of a 661 next week and then will make a choice. Wife still rattling on about an eternity ring and the Hoover packed in tonight so need to find the keys to the kids piggy bank:lol::lol:

Don't get a 661 unproven 660 has stood the test of time bar is interchangeable with your 462 if you do put a 20 /25 on it all make you smile.

Your going to be spending the thick end of a £1000 on it you want to know it's going to be right.

If I was going to pick one hole in a 660 it would be the oil pump could do with throwing out a little bit more volume when turned up if cutting really dry wood.

Tell the mrs rings don't make money

Seriously considering a dolmar 9010:thumbup:

Having a demo of a 661 next week and then will make a choice. Wife still rattling on about an eternity ring and the Hoover packed in tonight so need to find the keys to the kids piggy bank:lol::lol:

We ve got a Makita 9010 only had it for a few months, we ve got some big butts to cut up but couldn't afford a Stihl or husky. So far seems a good saw.

I am also surprised you don't go for the skip chain and a 28" bar, less cutters to sharpen, nice and light, on crosscutting it will be quick in the cut and quicker than a larger saw moving to next cut...

Did you say what species? I'm guessing if they were oak they'd go for milling. If they're fenceline trees definitely use full skip.

That said, it's a lot of fun to buy a couple more saws! Go for 660w, then 880 for the milling.

• 2 weeks later...

Have ordered the Dolmar 9010:thumbup: Had a demo of the 661 for a couple of days and it was impressive. Did try to buy a second hand 660 but the deal fell through. Deep down though the dolmar was what I wanted. Simple power:thumbup1:. Might have to buy some dumbbells before I start using it though:lol:

There is a high output oiler available for the 660 - combined with the factory dual port muffler, it really wakes the saw up :)

Does anyone know if this high output oiler fits an older 066 and what's the part number for it?

I found this on a previous thread 1122 640 3201 but when I looked on L&S it just said oiler to fit ms665 , 066 (1.15mm stroke), is this the high output oiler?

Cheers,

Si