CSCS Card

samthornton1990

These schemes are usually used to reduce the burden on the client to ensure work will be done safely. It may reduce the amount of input required for site induction courses -which is why they were setup for peripatetic (from site to site) workers.

The important thing is to understand why they are being asked in any particular circumstance and (unless you have them) to be able to give a better answer that simply ' yes I am a card carrying member'.

The card gives assurance that basic H&S is understood (signs, evacuation points, site ppe etc). It might (he repeats -might...) be worthwhile to consider alternative schemes which also check your safety preparation (just for illustration - CHAS). What the client wants is assurance that you, your workers and your subbies re not cowboys and know the rules -that way if you break them it is clear cut you at fault - no more; 'please sir, I didn't know I was supposed to ....'

Having sound H&S management - including training and competency management of all parts of your organisation (irrespective if you are self employed or run a company and frequently subcontract ) is what is sought - not a tick box approach.

These schemes are not compulsory - they are invoked through contract (which is always negotiable - ha-ha) There are exceptions - for example track side work which is statutory under rail safety law.

• Like 1

twice I have been called out to a site to do an emergency clear on a fallen(knocked over) tree, twice I have been asked for a CSCs card, my std replyis what the fuc* do I need one of those for, I'm a tree cutter, not a building site worker, Oh you cant get on the site without one, ok, goodbye, I'll send you my bill for calling me out and wasting both our time, .....ahh, your not going to cut the tree, no youve just told me I need a stupid bit of paper to get on your site, ehhhh, we'll let it go this time, just cut the tree down as quick as you can, its holding up the site...........time = money, and money is god on all these sites, the site managers all sh1t themselves when it looks like there going to have to go over budget

twice I have been called out to a site to do an emergency clear on a fallen(knocked over) tree, twice I have been asked for a CSCs card, my std replyis what the fuc* do I need one of those for, I'm a tree cutter, not a building site worker, Oh you cant get on the site without one, ok, goodbye, I'll send you my bill for calling me out and wasting both our time, .....ahh, your not going to cut the tree, no youve just told me I need a stupid bit of paper to get on your site, ehhhh, we'll let it go this time, just cut the tree down as quick as you can, its holding up the site...........time = money, and money is god on all these sites, the site managers all sh1t themselves when it looks like there going to have to go over budget

Sounds about right cash is king.

I had a call last week from a big distribution centre 1 mile up the road. Large site generator failed when I got there they wanted me to do a site induction but would take 2 hours before they started as they had no power. The lunatics are running the asylum .

• 2 years later...

Hi all , do we have a particular colour of cscs card that covers tree surgeons, I ask as when I've done my various tickets I'd will do my cscs card but I need to know what colour to ask for at training centre. Cheers Nick

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I must admit I do believe in these cards. Having them shows a basic knowledge of health and safety and standardises site personnel. They don't insult your ability to do your job, in fact compliment it. They don't apply to building sites as BALI run CSCS/LISS card which are landscape specific. Touch screen is only £20 not expensive. Clients should be clear before they call you out of the requirements. In emergency situations like that your competence and risk assessment and method statement should prevail.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Nick, you should visit BALI website dependent on your competence basic nptc groundie and above will be minimum blue "skilled worker" card. You will need to sit the BALI ROLO one day health and safety course. Link :http://www.bali.org.uk/lisscscs/

Hope this helps.

Keith

I must admit I do believe in these cards. Having them shows a basic knowledge of health and safety and standardises site personnel. They don't insult your ability to do your job, in fact compliment it. They don't apply to building sites as BALI run CSCS/LISS card which are landscape specific. Touch screen is only £20 not expensive. Clients should be clear before they call you out of the requirements. In emergency situations like that your competence and risk assessment and method statement should prevail.

The £20 days are long gone.

You can't just do the test anymore, you have to do the ROLO course first.

Nick, you should visit BALI website dependent on your competence basic nptc groundie and above will be minimum blue "skilled worker" card. You will need to sit the BALI ROLO one day health and safety course. Link :LISS/CSCS

Hope this helps.

Keith

Meanwhile out on site the CSCS card thing is little more than a box ticking exercise that site agents are forced to complete. Got you card, a bit of PPE and some "hi vis"? One site induction (or not) later and you are on site.

I have worked as a tree surgeon on countless sites for clients big and small including some major infrastructure projects, and none has never asked for anything more than the base level "operative" card.

Does depend what you are doing on site. I have my new CSCS card in front of me valid until Jan 2022 as a Construction Site Visitor. http://www.cscs.uk.com

To get it required a visit to a test centre and a touch screen multiple choice test. £19.50 for the Health, safety and environment test for operatives test.

It's a basic test that should screen out idiots.