Climbers disciplined for refusing tree

sawmonkey220

I still got both eyes ears arms legs AND all digits are complete and undamaged.

So:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

I quite understand your self congratulatory approach here Difflock. It must be a milestone of achievement to get to your position with all limbs and digits still attached:confused1:. Probably not the best way of marketing yourself though IMHO to any potential clients - you know how picky they can be.

Personally (and professionally) I use slightly more forward thinking KPI's to measure efficient performance.

But hey ho I am sure you have suitable insurance should - sorry, when it is needed. But do check, most claim recovery covers only about 20% or real l:001_cool:ss incurred by the victim.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, your job is gold plated for life

If in any doubt

Dont.

No thinking required.

PS

Our recent COSHH statements state that barrier cream is flammable and recommend wearing gloves while applying.

I do understand, you understand, a H&S Officer had a hand in the prep of this document.

Pun intended.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your 'avin a Larfff......

Firstly change the SO. (Although I am extremely doubtful about your suggestion here unless they were unqualified)

Secondly learn about what good safety looks like - it is an enabler not a prevention tactic. Real H&S is too often hijacked as an excuse by those who don't know, don't care or lack competence themselves in their own job.

I've had the reverse situation where I've looked at a job and recommended a MEWP, only for the climbers to look at the tree and opt to climb it instead.

I think to go for a disciplinary hearing the employer would be looking at "refusing a reasonable request to carry out a task" - If there are several climbers of varied experience all saying too dangerous, then surely it is not a "reasonable request".

Depending on the size of the company, how is the disciplinary hearing conducted and who is going to be sitting on the panel that has some decision making authority. - They may find that the panel consists of the boss, who's decision will be - [cue Alan Sugar impression] You're fired!

Our recent COSHH statements state that barrier cream is flammable and recommend wearing gloves while applying.

I do understand, you understand, a H&S Officer had a hand in the prep of this document.

Pun intended.

Christ, your health and safety buddy isn't called 'Norm' is he?

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/76443-has-world-gone-crazy-5.html#post1145098

Ask him a trick question about ballpoint pens and try and catch him out!

I gotta say, Diff, what with your brainless health and safety man, and your clueless crane driver mate, you do seem to attract some fruit loops.

Is anyone you work with normal :001_smile:

Any chance you could post a copy of that please?

Forget posting on here, what about posting the details on here....

Contact the Myth Busting Challenge Panel

and go for a far wider audience!

Could you imagine the shame of having you work blasted and slated by the HSE themselves :001_smile:

Go on diff, DO IT!

I have made the offer before, and I will do it again.

"If you don't want to deal with the HSE yourself, PM me the details, and I will enter it onto the panel - free of charge"

Go on, go on, go on :001_smile:

You can't tell someone to do something your not prepared to do your self, common rule of life, if the person issuing the order to climb is not qualified to climb then the decision should be made by the most senior qualified person there

My unwritten policy is not to ask employees to do something that i wouldn't do myself. This has mean't that i've stepped in to do risky trees as I knew their'd have issues with it. This has also caused me on a few occasions to think to myself "what the **** am i doing up this tree!"

Both of these are spot on, if you're not prepared to do it, then don't ask.

Just a quick point before I go out to play. I was lead to believe that when working at height the procedure for assessing the work was :-

1 can the work be carried out from the ground ?

(No)

2 Then can you work from a MEWP

(No)

3 Then climb

If this is the case then the company ain't got a leg to stand on

I thought the HSE regulations stated the use of mechanical means must be used where possible. I have been doing this for a few years. The mechanism I use involves a couple of ropes, some prussicks and a few crabs.

Everyone wants to be a tree surgeon until it's time to do tree surgeon stuff😃

As per usual, Shreks wee brother seems to have hit the nail on the head.

I am glad that the unclimbable tree is becoming more common, as I'm still yet to find one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As per the OP, it sounds like a horrid firm to work for. There is enough of you to stick two fingers up at the firm and set yourselves up. If 3 of you can scrape together £10k on those scrugely wages, then by a second hand van, half a dozen saws, a wee chipper and a couple of climbing kits and set yourselves up. It'd be better than working in the current working environment.

[quote name=Tim Stobart

As per the OP' date=' it sounds like a horrid firm to work for. There is enough of you to stick two fingers up at the firm and set yourselves up. If 3 of you can scrape together £10k on those scrugely wages, then by a second hand van, half a dozen saws, a wee chipper and a couple of climbing kits and set yourselves up. It'd be better than working in the current working environment.[/quote]

Thats a good call . :001_smile: