Climbers disciplined for refusing tree

sawmonkey220

However our current elf-n-safety nanny state culture now allows the less competent to hide behind legislation.

Like for instance I reasonably recently observed an owner operator with a wee 2 axle Kato crane, lift a 26 tonne bin lorry off a soft verge.

Using simple dynamics, in that he hoisted until the rear end of the crane left the ground, by a couple of feet, then "bounced" the truck out, a fraction of an inch at a time, but inexorably.

Way way outside any operating protocals BUT perfectly safely.

He grinned happily the whole time he was engaged on the task, simply because it was a challange.

A by-the-hour paid driver ud prob have said, get a bigger crane.

cheers

m

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....... He grinned happily the whole time he was engaged on the task, simply because it was a challange.

m

N:001_smile: - he grinned happily because he was the village idi:drool:t . And more likely because the equipment wasn't paid for out of his pocket. Pity the next poor sod to use the same equipment - or (do tell...) was he responsible enough to check all the seals after his jolly shock loading capers?

N:001_smile: - he grinned happily because he was the village idi:drool:t . And more likely because the equipment wasn't paid for out of his pocket. Pity the next poor sod to use the same equipment - or (do tell...) was he responsible enough to check all the seals after his jolly shock loading capers?

You leave me out of this!

First the facts; any employee is allowed to stop work if they have reasonable grounds to suspect they may be injured or cause injury or damage to others. Not only are they allowed to do this they are required by law to do this under HSWA and MHSWR. They themselves could be committing an offence if they did not say something. Had this developed into ‘’he said, she said’’ the employer would likely be facing wrapped knuckles for the failures already identified (dynamic risk assessment / review, consultation, ssw, work at height protocol and priority for avoiding etc) and (had any discipline been conducted) could have faced civil litigation for ‘bullying’.

Old timers say what you want - this is how it is. Welcome to 1974. It isn’t macho, and it isn’t cotton wool. It is what we call ‘reasonable’. In particular it is likely that a proper investigation would find numerous holes in the employers system of work resulting in hefty legal and consultancy costs and time consumed in bunging these holes up to try and avoid either litigation or prosecution. My vocation isn’t top work – my job is getting to the root of the problem and pruning dead wood.

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

If the company has a hoist/mewp they have to justify not using them and making you climb. In theory climbing is the last option anyway.

What if a company does not have a hoist ? Does every company / team have one , theoretically most jobs could be done with a hoist if they are big enough , is this the future of Arb ? only those who buy / hire a machine can do the job .

I will assure you that he never "shock" loaded anything, Ah bin about enough machinery long enough to know, for sure.

Seriously, seriously!

I did, btw, state owner operator:thumbup:

regards,

marcus

PS

In my job I am fully au-fait with H&S, and the implications for me as a Supervisor, IF any of my staff get injured.

I also fully understand the hieracy of how to access if a job can be done mechanically in the first instance, rather than manually.

Bin there, done that.

Edited by difflock

We wish to apologise for our inconsiderate and hurtful comments relating to village idiots. We recognise that the term was used without considering the personal effect it might have on village idiots. We fully appreciate that society benefits from the work of village idiots and without them it would be a sad world.

Without compromising the apology above we would like to rephrase our comments and replace the words 'village idiot' with ''Effeminate Cowboy'' and trust that (should there be any Effeminate Cowboys on this site) they would consider the actions of the utter osters mentioned to be in accordance with their game of hide the sausage as he was probably smiling for other reasons whilst playing such a game with the reverberations of his machine.

with the greatest respect - you ain't seen nuffin, and you sure as hell don't know about SWL, axle and or leg load point, NDT investigations, safe working envelope or any number of other criticalities I could list. Ah bin around bin trucks and ah bin around cranes - and ah bin around hengineerin to know when someone is seriously _____ up a piece of equipment.