A new idea for the top-handled saw monopoly - Tell me your thoughts!

Timmy

So after being disappointed with the options available for top-handled saws and with seeing recent reviews of the new husqvarna electric saw I had an idea for a whole new approach to chainsaws. Im posting it here as I want to get some feedback.

Essentially I want to manufacturer and source component parts for a customisable top-handled saw that can be assembled easily by the user with all parts available easily for a competitive price.

The design would be based around brushless electric motors and lithium ion battery technology. Chainsaw technology is currently behind the times so fears about power to weight ratio is unfounded. Technology developed around RC helicopters shows that performance can match if not exceed that of conventional petrol 2 -stroke engines.

Cordless chainsaws are relatively simple and could be assembled, maintained and customised by the vast majority, if not all arborists.

The idea would be that were parts to break everything can be replaced and/or repaired in a short space of time. Handle size and position could be adjusted to suit the user and their particular likes. For example running a longer bar can upset the balance of the saw, however adjustments could be made so the saw is perfectly balanced which whatever bar you wanted to run.

Similarly there will always be a compromise between battery life and weight. Options would allow you to make the choice that most suits your needs. Additionally motors would be interchangeable for a range of power options, all from the same customisable saw 'chassis'.

Technology of brushless motors and battery's is always developing and I believe that in the near future all chainsaws will be heading down this route. However I doubt the big manufacturers will support 'upgrades' to your saw as technology improves.

This is only at the concept stage at the moment but I am hoping that the idea of a customisable saw appeals, especially when it would allow you to upgrade as technology improves.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea that you might be able to update a saw quickly as technology progresses.

having recently trialled an electric saw I would like to see some improvements in its features.

I like the idea of replacing all our saws with leccy and have it mind to wait 6 months to see what improvements and new models are made.

Unfortunately I can imagine stihl or husky already having the next upgraded saws ready to roll out on the drawing board but are having to hold back on their release to make the current production run, with the current (and probably already outdated) technology, comercially viable.

this idea would negate this issue - but is it really viable?

Your idea or suggestion is not new or novel. That said since I have read similar threads here stateside and have come to the conclusion that present technology does not support your idea. First off the market to support the capital outlay for such an experiment is not present. Second the inconvenience of having multiple battery packs and charging pods or stations portable or on job site raises the cost and theft level exponentially.

I understand that the use of battery powered equipment is on the rise in some parts of the world and that is good however, the manufactures of said technology are not generating

enough real profit to push product development and design to levels your looking for.

I do not believe this technology will be ready and economically viable for many years if at all to come.

easy-lift guy

First of all you need to understand your market. How many Arbs will actually go out and buy a top handled saw and how many will buy YOUR one.

You need to look at the cost of the saw, how much people are currently paying and which part of the market you aim to hit - probably top end Pro!That is your "Target Price"! However good your saw is, people do have some sort of loyalty to manufacturers that have been around for years!

You are competing with the two big chainsaw/Garden equipment companies and also the likes of Dolmar/Makite/Echo and all those cheap Chinese saws.

Safety certification, CE marking, materials certification (has to come from countries, suppliers and materials mined in an ethical manner) etc will be a major problem - these test houses charge £££ to test a bit of kit and if it fails....you can do it all over again for £££££:thumbdown:

The other companies have a range of kit they offer out, some will make greater margin and will support the company to produce other products needed by the customers but are less economically viable.

Then there is the question of spares and agents - most guys will need to be able to get spares easily, how will this be done?

Marketing - how are you going to get the message out to others!

A nice idea technically but commercially a very difficult one. I wouldn't sink a few hundred thousand in to it of my own ££££, that's for sure!

spudulike has loads of good points.

As a company who has started out down this road with our Chainsaw sawhorse. You need to be thinking of spending loads and loads of money, blood, sweat and tears!

Our system just has recycled car battery cups, I hate to think what a electric chainsaw is to get off the drawing board and into the shops!

That said if the market is there go for it! But be prepared for the ups and downs. It is brilliant to get your design working and have people use it. To win awards and to sell them. To have people genuinely like your creation.

If you think it's a worldwide project get a patent on it as soon as you can. Also DO NOT show it to anyone except the patent office. Register the design with the office and then start to show it to people. You cannot do it the other way round. Once it's in the public domain you cannot get design rights.

Good luck though and I look forward to seeing the saw in a couple of years!