Felling towards fences

Peat

I've got a load of ash trees 40-70cm diameter to take down along a track. They are all heavily leaning over the track which has a barbed wire fence on both sides. How do folks deal with wire fencing? Whats the best way of getting a strong join and good tension if you have to clip the wire? Should a take out the staples at one end, pull up the posts and roll it up? Problem is its quite a long run, so I would probly need to cut it at some point. One of the fences is pretty old and I should be able to pull the posts up but the other is much newer.

Cheers

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a load of ash trees 40-70cm diameter to take down along a track. They are all heavily leaning over the track which has a barbed wire fence on both sides. How do folks deal with wire fencing? Whats the best way of getting a strong join and good tension if you have to clip the wire? Should a take out the staples at one end, pull up the posts and roll it up? Problem is its quite a long run, so I would probly need to cut it at some point. One of the fences is pretty old and I should be able to pull the posts up but the other is much newer.

Cheers

Can they not be dismantled.

Use a gripple to join wire.or just crash them down and replace with new wire.only fifty quid a roll far less than a climber!!

Thats my thoughts :thumbup1:

Give the customer the option:

1 - It will take us a day to do the trees @ £xxx and it will cost you £250 to sort the fence after

or

2 - It will take 3 days to climb them, you will still have your fence but its going to cost £xxxx

Most people will go with the new fence evan if the total cost work out about the same then you can smash the job out, get on to the next one and subbie the fencing it so you earn from that and the job your on the next day :thumbup:

Put it to the customer and see what you get. If your honest from day 1 its all good because you have kept your word and reputation. Rather than i got the trees down on time and on cost but sorry chap i f***ed your fence bad rep travels fast:laugh1:

Will c has the best option . You could fell leaving the stumps above fence height and thickish hinge so they stay on the stump above the fence when they go over holding them above the fence . Deal with the felled length then slice the stump down .

Will c has the best option . You could fell leaving the stumps above fence height and thickish hinge so they stay on the stump above the fence when they go over holding them above the fence . Deal with the felled length then slice the stump down .

Sorry just noticed 2 fences . Forget my idea . :blushing:

Thats my thoughts :thumbup1:

Give the customer the option:

1 - It will take us a day to do the trees @ £xxx and it will cost you £250 to sort the fence after

or

2 - It will take 3 days to climb them, you will still have your fence but its going to cost £xxxx

Most people will go with the new fence evan if the total cost work out about the same then you can smash the job out, get on to the next one and subbie the fencing it so you earn from that and the job your on the next day :thumbup:

Put it to the customer and see what you get. If your honest from day 1 its all good because you have kept your word and reputation. Rather than i got the trees down on time and on cost but sorry chap i f***ed your fence bad rep travels fast:laugh1:

Good thinking will, but unfortunatly its not gonna work here. The situation is a bit more complex than I said. I manage the woodlands on the site - the customers are my landlords. Most of the trees are already going to be dismantled coz theres a power line within striking distance of the majority of the trees.

The landowners got a quote from a tree surgery firm for a grand for three days work to do the lot, which seems pretty great to me and quick considering wots there. The landowners didn't want to pay it and asked me to do it, so i'm getting my climber mate in to dismantle but only for three days which I don't reckon will be enough to dismantle them all enough to avoid destroying the fence... having said all that i've realised that I haven't actually asked the landowners if they'll pay for a new fence, just assumed they wouldn't coz they're tight as anything. Just wondered if there was a nice easy trick I was missing.

Cheers

Good thinking will, but unfortunatly its not gonna work here. The situation is a bit more complex than I said. I manage the woodlands on the site - the customers are my landlords. Most of the trees are already going to be dismantled coz theres a power line within striking distance of the majority of the trees.

The landowners got a quote from a tree surgery firm for a grand for three days work to do the lot, which seems pretty great to me and quick considering wots there. The landowners didn't want to pay it and asked me to do it, so i'm getting my climber mate in to dismantle but only for three days which I don't reckon will be enough to dismantle them all enough to avoid destroying the fence... having said all that i've realised that I haven't actually asked the landowners if they'll pay for a new fence, just assumed they wouldn't coz they're tight as anything. Just wondered if there was a nice easy trick I was missing.

Cheers

Get your landlord to phone up your network operator and request for the trees to be removed, it'll be free if they agree