Beware black ice in the South West

Woodworks

This crazy fool. Cycled to a shoot on it yesterday. Had a few squeaky bum time moments, mainly when i had to negotiate bends and parked cars. Was good for a bit of drifting until the front wheel started to let go. Was rather impressed only fell off once but saw some poor sod on his road racing bike go skittering across the same piece of road i was going to navigate. I got off to see if he was ok. Luckily he was and thanked me for stopping.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you recommend, winter tyre wise? I'm thinking of sticking some on my Hilux, hopefully would help with the wobbly back end, not nice in the Icy stuff!

This on the car not the truck.

Think the winter tyres use a compound that stays supple at low temps when most tyres become too firm and loose their grip. Think the ones on the car where cheapies as thats all they had the time the name Kleber comes to mind but if intrested I will check in the day.

Seriously plogs I wasn't going fast and I've got all terrain boots on!

HI PETE i seen a mate in our local i said my old my new truck then O YES JOHN THE MISS SMASH UP THE OLD ONE ON BLACK ICE I SAID UP NEAR THE WIND TURBINE ON THE YES HE SAID YOU NO WHAT SEE WAS LOOKING AT THE WIND TURBINE HYPNOTIZED BY IT o yes :lol::lol:she a BT POLE :lol:SHE OK THANKS JON :thumbup:

Agreed lots of all terrain tyres are not marked for snow and ice either. Our 205 van went round an icey bend into our industrial every morning for weeks bit sideways sometimes but the Range Rover no chance straight on its roof.

Winter tyres are amazing especially when new that's how a lot of Europeans get about. There is a line of thought that the weather is wet and mild enough in the uk to keep the winter tyres on all year. If I did 20 k a year and a car I would fit in September and bin after a year.

HI STEVE IF YOU HAD RRS you go out in the frost as it would not start it a LAND ROVER NOW A TOYOTA :thumbup1:there great thanks jon :thumbup:

HI PETE i seen a mate in our local i said my old my new truck then O YES JOHN THE MISS SMASH UP THE OLD ONE ON BLACK ICE I SAID UP NEAR THE WIND TURBINE ON THE YES HE SAID YOU NO WHAT SEE WAS LOOKING AT THE WIND TURBINE HYPNOTIZED BY IT o yes :lol::lol:she a BT POLE :lol:SHE OK THANKS JON :thumbup:

I bet it's cold in Somerset tonight jon. I'm up in wraxall again and it's baltic. Luckily the gritters have been out.

I know about the softer compound on winter tires but dont understand this ... My Cooper tires on my truck are marked mud and snow but as far as I know are not marked as winter tires . Would that be for summer snow then ?:001_smile:

I know about the softer compound on winter tires but dont understand this ... My Cooper tires on my truck are marked mud and snow but as far as I know are not marked as winter tires . Would that be for summer snow then ?:001_smile:

Snow and ice are 2 different surfaces. Ice needs sticky tyres but snow needs chunkier treads like mud. :001_smile:

Winter tyres work.

Simples!

on my 5th winter on a set of Continentals.

BUT

They are loosing their "bite" due to being down to 4mm, they need a certain min depth of tread to work.

They are also "grippier" in that multiple sipes allow the individual tread blocks to squirm about, thus shedding the snow that get trapped between.

Driving on hard packed frozen snow or ice is more like driving on a wet road, BUT if water about on top of the snow or ice, all bets are off.