Can anyone please help with this serious accident?

Noggin1988

David d, that's the scary bit that competent experienced people make mistakes. That's exactly what happened with Elaine Bromily, the video is available online, if you watch it I'm sure you can draw parcels between the world of surgery and the world of arb, I think it's called just another routine operation.

After each of our incidents at work we do a root cause analysis( no joke!) to look at the individual components that led to that one point. There are usually multiple factors that lead to it, stressors on the worker, problems with the processes in place or problems with the organisations policies or structure. Changes are then made to as many areas as possible including re training of staff if necessary. The point is that

We no longer say it's your fault your fired because that just stops people being open and sharing their near miss incidents. We share all this info with other trusts across the country to help them learn from our mistakes. Being new to the world of trees and arb, I would very much like to look at the things that led to accidents/near misses occurring so that I can make sure they don't happen to me. I imagine most people are the same.

In this case I believe the LA needs to learn a serious lesson but most of all it needs to share that learning with the family of the gentleman concerned and it's counterparts across the country.

I am now off to take a bloody good look at a lime tree that has been steadily rotting next to my mother in laws house. She was told it had a tpo and could not be touched, no one has come to look at this tree in years, it's huge with houses all around there has been serious fungal growth on it for the last 10 years!! I believe it's just a matter of time.:001_smile:

• 1 year later...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In relation to phcb92 comments about inspecting post incident;

Someone removed the decay from the tree after it fell described as "with surgical precision" during the court case and reported in the local paper. I believe this prevented much analysis of it.

The main argument revolved around whether the LA furnished the contractor with the appropriate maps to survey this tree and if it was indeed surveyed or not.

In any case the outcome was that the LA's cycle of inspection was inadequate regardless of of if the tree was or wasn't inspected /inspected adequately so the buck stops with them.

The plaintiff was the only party on the bus as I understand it so no one else will be coming forward for compensation etc.

Interesting case and certainly will cause many LA's to revisit their policies and survey schedules no doubt.