upgrade time! What are the best all round towable chippers for genral tree work?

samiad

We have the sub 750 Vermeer and we daily wish it was a Timberwolf! Hydraulics have burst the seal 3 times in 6 months from new! The design seams to be a afterthought as there is a shitty little stand in a really awkward place you have to wind down anytime it's off the van! The kill switch gets activated by a butterfly landing on it and it has a lever to control the feed roller speed which isn't in the best location and never gets used! + it's a bitch to reverse and things have started to fall off it! On a plus side the guys at Vermeer are great and have been very helpful the 5 times we have had to get it repaired in the last 6 months!

Bloody hell.. Saw it at the apf and thought I would have one next.. Will avoid. Vemeer are brilliant :thumbup1: Cheers

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you easily afford say £300 a month to pay the finance even if you have a couple of slack months? I certainly noticed an increase in productivity with a modern age chipper, (I came from an entec), as well as a massive reduction in running costs and down time due to no breakdowns. One day lost due to a broken down chipper pays that months finance.

id say yes i probly could afford that as i dont have a house or any responsibilities but i dont work full time so down days here and there I can cope with no problem. Still though...it would be nice not having to tow 1200kg in my old smiley transit. 750kg would be much better. so its between the greenmech arborist and new timberwolf then.

Break it down.

£300 PM does sound like a fair amount but £75 per week, £15 per working day.

Can you be £15 more productive a day, will you gain more business by looking more professional? What price do you put on spending time keeping an old chipper going. Answer is probably none because that's the way it goes. But if that wet morning you were faffing round with yours you could of been pricing a job it's possibly paid for itself that month.

What do you do if your chipper breaks on site or before a job? Both embarrassing as it's judgemental on your business but also costly if you spot hire something to keep a customer happy/want future business.

cheers for your take on it. You summed up my situation well, i think il find the 750kg convenient. my budget is the lower end.

Samiad

You mention that your budget is the lower end, this does not mean you have to settle for a lower quality chipper, we are your local Timberwolf Dealer and we have a TW230DHB on our demo fleet that I will be happy to bring to you to try, you will be impressed.

We arebased in Altrincham so fairly local to you!

Drop me a pm or give me a call on 07880 646067:call2:

Demo a GM Arb 130, your quest will have ended. I worked as a sub for a few companies with various other chippers so I had an idea what was achievable and what to avoid.

Ask Arblease about finance. If you can stump up a deposit of 10% of the total price plus paying the VAT up front, you're looking at half of what your current thoughts are on monthly payments.

Russ

Demo a GM Arb 130, your quest will have ended. I worked as a sub for a few companies with various other chippers so I had an idea what was achievable and what to avoid.

Ask Arblease about finance. If you can stump up a deposit of 10% of the total price plus paying the VAT up front, you're looking at half of what your current thoughts are on monthly payments.

Russ

nice one russ, i could cope with that easy.