out of intrest what would you charge ?

philip2011

£250. Travel, tip off chip, tidy up, half day lost for anything else. This £50 - 80 nonsense is just how to go out of business and undermine the value of the industry.

I totally agree with all what you are saying and yes you couldn't make a living charging £50 to £80 a time to chip someone else's brash/ branches not even if you did 2 a day.

Like I said I have done it before and it would have to be on my door step and would want to see it before I did it even given a brief discretion of the quantity.

Spending less then a hour to earn £80 isn't that bad a deal.I.M.O.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with all what you are saying and yes you couldn't make a living charging £50 to £80 a time to chip someone else's brash/ branches not even if you did 2 a day.

Like I said I have done it before and it would have to be on my door step and would want to see it before I did it even given a brief discretion of the quantity.

Spending less then a hour to earn £80 isn't that bad a deal.I.M.O.

Get there, set up, chip, tidy up, travel to tip site, (pay for tipping?)

Wear and tear on chipper blades (40 mins of xx hrs), diesel.

Plus - during that time you CAN'T be doing another job which might be better paid. Remember the threads about tree guys not earning enough???

I've BEEN that £40 guy.

It costs you money.

Anyone who takes down a tree without any thought of disposal is an idiot, and if they want to hire a chipper, tipper and pay for disposal they can.

I'd want £150, and would want to look at it first.

Anything I didn't fancy chipping would be left in a heap.

If anyone local to me would do 40 minutes chipping and dispose of it for £40 I'd sell my truck and chipper immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Get there, set up, chip, tidy up, travel to tip site, (pay for tipping?)

Wear and tear on chipper blades (40 mins of xx hrs), diesel.

Plus - during that time you CAN'T be doing another job which might be better paid. Remember the threads about tree guys not earning enough???

Agreed if you had loads of work you Would't even consider doing it, but if you had half a day to kill spending half hour plus to earn money isn't that a good thing? Perhaps just my work ethic and I would definitely do it and it could also lead to more work.

There are more and more of these threads popping up on here, do people not know what they should be charging to run a business? Truck, fuel, chipper, insurance, waste carriers licence, these all cost money. I charge minimum of £100 to joe public to chip there stuff take it or leave it. A bloke called me before Christmas, he had cut a load of lonicera and privet down, bloody grt heap on his drive, all tangled up. I told him £160 to chip and take away. He never got back to me. I really don't care. I used to chip other people's crap but after finding wire and roots in the pile I really don't want the hassle. Somebody will do it for 2 and 6, let em crack on.

By the power of grey skull you can fill a grab lorry with chip in 30mins.

Of course, however it's unlikely if there was that amount of brash these sort of customers would estimate 40 minutes realistic my price was for 3-4 cube an easy landy load and leaving the place looking like a bomb hit it. If the lorry were to come out the price would be considerably more.

Agreed if you had loads of work you Would't even consider doing it, but if you had half a day to kill spending half hour plus to earn money isn't that a good thing? Perhaps just my work ethic and I would definitely do it and it could also lead to more work.

I don't remember the last time I had half a day spare but if I do I want to either relax or do a decent half day's work and not rummage around a pile of sticks to complete a job that some half-arse has left incomplete.

I don't think that is a matter of work ethics - it's life priorities (my choice). If I find myself with no work or money I would, of course, apply a different set of criteria, but that's not the case so my view is still 'no will do'.