Saw for a small woodland

Paul in the woods

Sorry to post yet another which saw thread but...

I own approx 10 acres of woodland that's a real mix of trees (including oak, ash, alder, Scots Pine) planted about 20 years ago, old hazel and goat willow scrub and old hedge banks. Much of the recently planted wood needs thinning and coppicing and some of the scrubby areas also need coppicing.

Most of the trees I need to fell will be under 30cm at the base but the odd one perhaps 40cm. I intend to go on a chainsaw course and can get advice on the saw from the tutor but I'd also like some other opinions.

I would like a saw that's up to the job of felling the trees I've mentioned but also not overkill. Speed isn't an issue, reliability and something that'll last is more important. As it's not going to be used for professional use I like the idea of a 5 year warranty so have been looking at the Echo saws.

I've settled on the CS-420ES ( Echo CS-420ES Rear Handle Petrol Chainsaw ) at the moment, so 15" (38cm) bar, 40.2cc and 4.6kg.

Would that seem reasonable? The next saw up would mean I could fit a longer bar in future but I don't think the extra weight and cost is worth it at the moment. I could get a smaller saw but fell I would end up having to buy a bigger saw in the future.

I also have a question about the 5 year warranty if anyone can help. I says you need to get the saw serviced, would this be each year?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you get a service book with the saw ? I didn't with my Husqvarna 135 and it's not going to a dealer to be serviced. I do maintenance like turning and cleaning the bar out checking filters and greasing the bearing, general plug checking and anything else it needs. I wouldn't expect any problem if it went back, what proof of a service history could they ask for?

Rubbish :P

You'll just side with whichever is more orange :)

135 revs higher, but the 211 has more torque, is easier to start, and more reliable.

Plus the Stihl doesn't come with a crap bar.

50cc and above, Husqy all the way :)

Not necessarily, I'd choose the ms150 over the husky 425 any day!

And the 241 over the 543xp!

It's just that I find Stihl homeowner saws heavily over priced! Especially when you can get the 135 for £40 less! That's a new bar and chain! Or a sugihara bar, which is better than any Stihl bar currently produced!