Working neglected woodland

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do you plan to extract? ive a 5 acre plantation of 30 yo pine to thin. peat ground and access through field with only gravel track to gate. There is too little timber to justify a forwarder, a quad wouldnt be cost effective (too many light turns, churning up the place) thinking track dumper...

This is all new to me Hiluxstihl. Last summer me and a mate pulled out a big birch that had blown over and become lodged in another tree. Access to the wood is tricky, most of the year its on foot accross a field, but when the field is harvested I have permission from the farmer to drive over the stubble. We used a Landrover with trailer and got that to the edge of the wood. Then we humped rounds to the trailer, split them in the field and threw them in the trailer. Six hours work gave us a trailer load each, about half a years firewood for me. We're both happy with hard work in the woods, so no real problem, but I have been thinking that I may need a quad or some other solution long term! I just don't have much cash to spend on what for me is really just a hobby :sad:

dont ask a bunch of tree surgeons what's best for woodland - ask an ecologist!!! will any management dreams last or be taken forward long enough to be any good to wildlife? you could start by leaving all the deadwood alone. what do you deem neglected? even leylandii can provide winter cover, nesting sites etc. how long has it taken the blackthorn to get that big - its probably is supporting its own wildlife??

The management plan cost £1000 to get drawn up and passed. I applied for a manag,event grant from the forestry commission and that was a £1000. The grant came with a 10year felling licence to cover the management plan work. I think you need 3?? Hectares of woodland to get the grant. I have a load of mixed broad leaved mature trees and a massive hornbeam boundary hedge. The consultant who did the management plan said the hedge needs cutting down to four foot high. It is about 30- 40 foot high. Never mind I will do what I can but get the big stuff cut down professionally as and when. I love spending my time in the wood and so does my Grandsons when they get the time. The wood was completely overgrown when I took it on and was impossible to walk through at least I can do that now.

dont ask a bunch of tree surgeons what's best for woodland - ask an ecologist!!! will any management dreams last or be taken forward long enough to be any good to wildlife? you could start by leaving all the deadwood alone. what do you deem neglected? even leylandii can provide winter cover, nesting sites etc. how long has it taken the blackthorn to get that big - its probably is supporting its own wildlife??

Thats a good point well made Arbmark. By 'neglected' I mean completely untouched by human hand for at least fifteen years (that is other than folks walking through occasionally). The wood is certainly supporting a diverse range of wildlife - just the other day I saw a barn owl hunting and theres evidence of all sorts of other activity. My brother-in-law is a wildlife artist and naturalist so that side of things is something I'm aware of and not something I want to ignore long term. I think we're at the point where choices need to be made though, e.g. fell some or all of the leylandii to allow space for the sycamore that are being crowded out. If I don't make any decisions then some trees will be lost anyway and maybe they won't be the ones that would be best sacrificed. My firewood needs are pretty low, about three neatly stacked cube a year, so I don't think pulling out that qunatity of wood should impact the wildlife? maybe I'm wrong?

And if you are really lucky, the ecologist will get you to put a newt fence all the way round the wood to keep the newts where they already happily are and have been for years, and also get you to put a bat bridge from your wood across to the neighboring wood so that the bats can find their way to the neighboring wood cos they cant possibly find their own way (even though an ecologist recently told me that so called "bat bridges" were proved to not work over two years ago.

Oh, and finally, the ecologist can then send you an invoice for about £10000 for his trouble, but you will still be left with an area of woodland which gives you no firewood, but at least all the birds, bats and spiders will be happy.

I say go with the guys giving you some really useful advice about what YOU want to do. The birds and bats will always find a home within you wood, and its always possible to make wildlife and forestry work perfectly well in harmony, AND you will get some firewood and pleasure out of your 2 acres.

If your new to woodland management then this is a good starting point So you own a woodland

I would postpone any major felling till next year, in the meantime see how the wood behaves in all 4 seasons. This will help you understand what role/habitats each tree provides and supports.

Also try to visit other nearby managed woods for ideas/inspiration.

From what you say you can probably get your firewood from windblow and pruning alone.

If it's remote maybe a hut/caravan onsite for woodworking and camping with family in the summer?

Sounds a nice project

dWouls the ash / birch / sycamore and maple copice in blocks? that way you get good fire wood every year and the wildlife will move from the block you just cut to the next one, if you can work out 10 blocks and work one a year you will have a decent size timber for fire wood by the time you go round for a second time.

Pesonally i wold lose most of the laylandi buts that a personal opionion. they could be milled up on site to build you a tea hut etc.

Thats a good point well made Arbmark. By 'neglected' I mean completely untouched by human hand for at least fifteen years (that is other than folks walking through occasionally). The wood is certainly supporting a diverse range of wildlife - just the other day I saw a barn owl hunting and theres evidence of all sorts of other activity. My brother-in-law is a wildlife artist and naturalist so that side of things is something I'm aware of and not something I want to ignore long term. I think we're at the point where choices need to be made though, e.g. fell some or all of the leylandii to allow space for the sycamore that are being crowded out. If I don't make any decisions then some trees will be lost anyway and maybe they won't be the ones that would be best sacrificed. My firewood needs are pretty low, about three neatly stacked cube a year, so I don't think pulling out that qunatity of wood should impact the wildlife? maybe I'm wrong?

glad you didnt take my piece to be negative. you really could get an ecologist to walk round with you for an hour or two to give suggestions.

it does seem that where previously long-standing established coppicing programmes are reinstated the relevant wildlife can return to these unique habitats but too many think that coppicing is intrinsically good imo. I would take out most of the leylandii, leave deadwood as much as possible, standing and stacked and take what you feel is right of the livewood. Perhaps vary in age and species what you take and where you do fell open enough to allow light and regeneration. Deer can ruin regeneration and brambles can flourish when you open up the canopy. stacking a few branches to protect regrowth helps. Some of the most valuable trees to wildlife wont be the most healthy - cavities, deadwood etc - so dont always cut down the unhealthy ones. A varied age structure is good. Have you got any more land adjacent you could plant up?

Just my thoughts - you could ask your local council countryside rangers or parks team for advice? Good luck