Working neglected woodland

Hi All, first post so go easy! I have access to a couple of acres of neglected woods, owned by my family, but only myself interested in it. Its not been touched in twenty years until I started working on it last summer. I've removed some lodged trees and cleared some paths but am cautious of doing much more without advice. The trees in the wood are pretty mixed - areas of Scots, Poplar, Leylandi, oak, ash, beech, coppiced hazel along with random silver birch and sycamore, plus a lot of blackthorn. The land is on the side of a valley, sandy at the top end in parts, boggy at the bottom. Question is what next? I'm thinking fell the Leylandi and coppice the hazel? The overall idea is to provide me with a constant supply of firewood, encourage wildlife and make the wood a place my three small kids can enjoy. What do you think? Cheers

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All, first post so go easy! I have access to a couple of acres of neglected woods, owned by my family, but only myself interested in it. Its not been touched in twenty years until I started working on it last summer. I've removed some lodged trees and cleared some paths but am cautious of doing much more without advice. The trees in the wood are pretty mixed - areas of Scots, Poplar, Leylandi, oak, ash, beech, coppiced hazel along with random silver birch and sycamore, plus a lot of blackthorn. The land is on the side of a valley, sandy at the top end in parts, boggy at the bottom. Question is what next? I'm thinking fell the Leylandi and coppice the hazel? The overall idea is to provide me with a constant supply of firewood, encourage wildlife and make the wood a place my three small kids can enjoy. What do you think? Cheers

Sounds good . Where is it / are you ....:001_smile:

Thats a shame! Would you coppice all in one go or in rotation?

If you can tell from the growth if its already been done in rotation in the past then take back the biggest first and leave the youngest till it meets your requirements . 7 years is a common cycle time .

I bought ten acres about three years ago snd agin the woodland had not been managed. I had a management plan drawn up and am now slowly wirking through the wood. I wish I had someone to advise me fom time to time. Most of the scruub has been cleared now but there is still loads to do. Bought the wood for something to do in my retirement and also for my Grandsons to run wild.