TPO work question

treestuff

Fill th orms out yourself and wait and see

They said they would quote me once the permission had come through so we knew what could be done to the tree as was unsure would be allowed to have any work done. They said they don't charge for quotes and was told the form would take about 10minutes to fill in, that they could do it for me or I could complete it myself?

Is it not best practice to get a few quotes and how do I get correct quotes if I don't know what I can have done to the tree until permission has come through?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I charge £60 for applications. If the client goes with me the £60 comes off the cost of the job, if they then choose to go with some one else I invoice the £60 and I let the council tree department know that I won't be carrying out the work so that if the quality of the job isn't great they don't think I have done it.

Moral issues aside, if the firm who put in the application haven't quoted yet, how can the firm who have written to you say they will be cheaper? Have they checked for planning applications then contacted you saying they will be cheaper without knowing details, without even seeing the tree maybe?

If my assumptions are close to correct, do they sound like the actions of a professional company?

Hi,

Ive just received permission to have a tree cut down that has a TPO on it. Do you have to use the person/company that filled out the application form? Another firm has wrote to me saying they can do the work cheaper and I think this firm looks more professional.

Thanks

They say they can do work cheaper but have they quoted for work yet and they look more professional in what way.:confused1:

This is a company looking for work by looking at council web page to see how has been granted work to be done on TPO trees.:sneaky2:

So no that professional :thumbdown:

SLOTH BEAT ME TO IT

The original firm have now given me a quote now that the permission has come through and we now know what work can be done. The other firm looked at the job without me telling them the original quote and theirs was cheaper. I thought it was common practice and sense to get more than 1 quote when getting a contractor to do anything. If I took my car to the garage and they quoted me work does this mean I have to use them only? Surely its the same principle, you always get a few quotes nothing to do with morals and ethics.

The original firm have now given me a quote now that the permission has come through and we now know what work can be done. The other firm looked at the job without me telling them the original quote and theirs was cheaper. I thought it was common practice and sense to get more than 1 quote when getting a contractor to do anything. If I took my car to the garage and they quoted me work does this mean I have to use them only? Surely its the same principle, you always get a few quotes nothing to do with morals and ethics.

You're quite right to get more than 1 quote but you have had a "freebie" of the people that got the consent for you, the average charge for the paperwork seems to run between 60 and 100 pounds, if you use the other outfit, at least offer to cover the expenses of getting you the consent.

Another element that might affect the price is that the competitor has clearly got your information from the TPO online notification and they know who the other contractor is.

It is entirely possible that they have sharpened their bid to be ultra competitive in order to deny a competitor work.

If that is the case you have to wonder where they are going to shave the work to keep it in profit?

You're quite right to get more than 1 quote but you have had a "freebie" of the people that got the consent for you, the average charge for the paperwork seems to run between 60 and 100 pounds, if you use the other outfit, at least offer to cover the expenses of getting you the consent.

Sounds about right to me.

The firm that filled in the form did it at my house when he came to do the quote, filled it in with me and it took us about 5 minutes to do. How can anyone justify 5minutes worth of work to be £60-£100, do you all charge for giving written quotes as there must of been the same amount of work as giving a written quote and posting it out to me?