being tax return sassy!

Maxnaggle

i'm not sure why, but i have the sudden urge to contact an accountant! i wonder why that could be..

seriously though, that's feasible for the tax year 2013/14 as i spent a fair bit of that one employed PAYE style... but for this year comings will be a good shout as its all been self employed so far.

if you've got all invoices - earnings - expenses in organised properly why go through an accountant - bare in mind I'm self employed working for other business' with a very predictable income/outgoings. just out of interest

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not sure why, but i have the sudden urge to contact an accountant! i wonder why that could be..

seriously though, that's feasible for the tax year 2013/14 as i spent a fair bit of that one employed PAYE style... but for this year comings will be a good shout as its all been self employed so far.

if you've got all invoices - earnings - expenses in organised properly why go through an accountant - bare in mind I'm self employed working for other business' with a very predictable income/outgoings. just out of interest

Because an accountant can find things you would not know, also if the tax man comes after you your accountant can answer questions etc. it depends on your business but even a small scale Subby will benefit from a good accountant.

Basically if you were not doing the job you do would you have still bought it? If you would have bought it anyway then it is probably not deductible without an argument or percentage claim. E.g. Double cab pick up. If you were not doing tree work would you have a car instead? Do you go anywhere for yourself in a works vehicle? If so you should declare a % claim. I have just got another van for a new team and discussed with my accountant letting one of the lads take it home. I was told the official line is no problem and the driver could collect anything for work on his way to or from work provided it is a direct route (e.g. Calling for a paper at the newsagent he would pass anyway). However he could not collect his kids from the childminders in the next village in it without being subject to company car tax.

Do you use it 100% for work or some for work and some for personal use? E.g trailer, clothing, computer

My accountant charges me less than a days work for the team. I file all receipts and invoices by date in lever arch files and give an estimation for personal/business mileage for all vehicles and then get my books back and tax return to sign. Easy. I cut trees, I don't do accountancy.

The bank also like it that I have bound official accounts professionally done.

What about claiming for Pl insurance, and does it make a difference if your policy runs over 2 different tax years?

Yes it's a business cost! My accountant claims for absolutely bloody everything businesses related and more than covers his costs in what I would loose if I tried to do it.