Ivy on mature oak trees

TIMON

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419697695.234214.jpg.2de153809a337d0262b1988d88c9cd63.jpg

Here's a couple of examples. Personally I'm leaning towards removal... As you can see we're not short of habitat. I know there are differing opinions on what is best for the environment as a whole, but I think the trees, their appearance and well being are the priority here. I still welcome your views and advice

Thanks

Timon

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419697660.439791.jpg.5b91963315fa5ca031f577540cae906f.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419697632.527298.jpg.4c5d84e54512d5e3bd86e7b7e55075d2.jpg

"I don't like the look of it" is good enough reason.

"It harbours too many wood pigeons" is an even better one!

I'd say my anecdotal evidence that it harms trees is just as good as your anecdotal evidence that it doesn't. :)

Certainly on my garden hedge the ash covered in ivy is not doing so well as the clear ones. I have noticed the deteriation over the last 15 years as the ivy coverage increased and now it is starting to drop larger dead wood.

I am no expert but it appears to me competition rather than coincedence.

[ATTACH]172864[/ATTACH][ATTACH]172865[/ATTACH][ATTACH]172866[/ATTACH]

Here's a couple of examples. Personally I'm leaning towards removal... As you can see we're not short of habitat. I know there are differing opinions on what is best for the environment as a whole, but I think the trees, their appearance and well being are the priority here. I still welcome your views and advice

Thanks

Timon

Good pics timon.

So many different ideas on this thread, none wrong, it's just a question of what you want to achieve in the end really. Yes it's good for habitat, but if you do want it gone then sever it - never thought about doing it before crown break good idea! it reduces comp in the crown and wind sail but still leaves habitat but leaves habitat takes a bit longer as the tree has to be climbed and yes you would have to do this every year. Leave it to fall off naturally then all the bugs can find homes gradually.

Most of our trees have evolved to lose their leaves before the windy winter period, ivy reverses this situation, so is not great in situations where there are targets.

Ivy is good habitat, but if you cut it and leave it to die, any nesting creatures will have ample time to move before it starts falling off.

My advice would be to just cut a good gap in the ivy at the base of the tree.

Good pics thanks. The first pic shows little problem of shading; it's just time to cut it at the forks. The next 2 pics show shading and possible loading issues too, so it could be cut further down.

If ivy doesn't compete for shade, it is still competing for root space. This is an issue with older trees in tight spaces; not these.

"As you can see we're not short of habitat." Looks pretty open there really. :thumbdown:

" I know there are differing opinions on what is best for the environment as a whole, but I think the trees, their appearance and well being are the priority here." Thanks; establishing the objective should come first. The trees and their well being will be fine if the owner compromises and has it cut at the forks. Of course that would mean an arborist re-cutting it every 5-10 years. If you don't want ongoing work, and can get paid fairly for stripping it, the only caution would be to not expose the bark too suddenly.

So it boils down to appearance: is ivy beautiful, or neutral, to the eye of the beholding owner? An arborist's idea of beauty might not count, but to me there's nothing uglier than dying ivy vines brown and gray and falling on the turf, for years.