Help on options for 4x4 with 3500kg towing...?

theflyingscotsman

If you want a pickup that is sure footed when towing 3.5 ton then the Yank route is a option but sacrifice MPG though .

My Pickup does cater well for work and pleasure and only weighs 2.4 tons with a 8ft long bed/crew cab that can fit a micro digger on the back no problems and not feel the caravan behind which is 27ft long and 8ft wide.

Tows my 2T digger around like its a toy .

And yes i get strange looks too with this outfit

[ATTACH]172912[/ATTACH]

Ste

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a pickup that is sure footed when towing 3.5 ton then the Yank route is a option but sacrifice MPG though .

My Pickup does cater well for work and pleasure and only weighs 2.4 tons with a 8ft long bed/crew cab that can fit a micro digger on the back no problems and not feel the caravan behind which is 27ft long and 8ft wide.

Tows my 2T digger around like its a toy .

And yes i get strange looks too with this outfit

[ATTACH]172912[/ATTACH]

Ste

Nice set up must be the size of you average arctic lorry I think hobbies are 7ft wide as well :001_smile: have you taken it through Devon and similar places. I can remember it getting a bit tight with land cruiser and 19ft van.

Nice set up must be the size of you average arctic lorry I think hobbies are 7ft wide as well :001_smile: have you taken it through Devon and similar places. I can remember it getting a bit tight with land cruiser and 19ft van.

From tip to toe its 51ft long so I Try and stick to main road if possible and its a regular visits to North Wales mainly ,have to plan route carefully being 8ft wide .

Being a long wheelbase pickup it is very reassuring when towing .

Ste

Disco 3 tows really well but IMO it's the combination of vehicle and trailer you have to get right if your going to tow on the limit.

I tow our new 21m Teupen MEWP with my Disco 3 which combined with the trailer is 3.5tonnes.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419923223.171608.jpg.42e10c342b8fc405fc586833592e3a5c.jpg

Tows ok but you have to be on the ball and not go to fast.

This is a purpose built Aluminium trailer that only weighs 500kg, cost a small fortune but compared to the trailer the hire company used to provide their MEWP its worth every penny as it tows 10 times better.

In my experience any trailer that weighs more and/or is longer than the tow vehicle is not the most pleasant experience to tow but when needs must.

Disco 3 tows really well but IMO it's the combination of vehicle and trailer you have to get right if your going to tow on the limit.

I tow our new 21m Teupen MEWP with my Disco 3 which combined with the trailer is 3.5tonnes.

[ATTACH]172981[/ATTACH]

Tows ok but you have to be on the ball and not go to fast.

This is a purpose built Aluminium trailer that only weighs 500kg, cost a small fortune but compared to the trailer the hire company used to provide their MEWP its worth every penny as it tows 10 times better.

In my experience any trailer that weighs more and/or is longer than the tow vehicle is not the most pleasant experience to tow but when needs must.

Wot "e" said:lol::lol::lol::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

I recall this is the same rig our local contracter is looking at, @ over £5k for the trailer(& i tink he said £6k:001_huh:)

cheers

m

• 10 months later...