What does a spark screen do?

Woodworks

So is every saw sold in the UK likely to have one? I'm assuming it's a mesh screen in the exhaust muffler? How easy are they to remove and is the increase in power worth the faffing around?

Faffing !! It's 30 secs with a flat head and long nose pliers so well worth the effort.

If you don't clean them the engine will not run eventually any way so you might as well just remove and put them in a safe place incase there is ever a drought 😄😄 they were only put in for California fire regs anyway

Edited by MattyF

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a honda gx340 on my splitter and couldn't set the carb engine stank of fuel etc in the end it was the spark screen sooted up causing blacker engine oil used lots more fuel as i was compensating for the fault by trying to give it more revs etc making it worse .

Now its transformed with the spark screen out i can adjust the carb e/o stays clean longer and as for the fuel 5/6 ltrs a day now brill

I'm wondering if my Solo 646 has got one in, if so I'll have to get shot of it as I'm all for easy mods for more power! It's a long shot I know, but have you done any porting/polishing on any of the newer Solo saws spudulike? I might consider it as I'm really happy with mine but with an 18" bar on it does feel like it could do with a bit more oomph when it's really buried.

I'm wondering if my Solo 646 has got one in, if so I'll have to get shot of it as I'm all for easy mods for more power! It's a long shot I know, but have you done any porting/polishing on any of the newer Solo saws spudulike? I might consider it as I'm really happy with mine but with an 18" bar on it does feel like it could do with a bit more oomph when it's really buried.

Not had too much to do with Solo saws, no reason why they shouldn't respond to a bit of porting!

Are the Sparks caused from the carbon deposits? If so, if a saw is run on aspen from day one, there will be no carbon deposits, therefore won't even need a spark screen? Would I be correct in thinking like that?

The carbon will be build up generally on the surface of the exhaust port and this can get red hot and fly out of an unprotected exhaust. Not too much of a problem in the UK unless in a drought on tinder dry scrubland etc

The 357 you re built spud is running great, just like a new saw. I put a new clutch bearing and drum on my 261 and it's no better still very wobbly and cuts out when chain brake is applied so it must be a crank issue! Always thought that saw was crap!

Glad the 357XP is bopping along well, I like these saws - really fly and good AV!