Chainsaw boot test

nailer

To be picky the make up of the toecap is irrelevant as far as the test goes because the test cut positions don't include the toe cap. When the tests were devised it was the rest of the boots that was an issue not the toecaps because they were all steel.

Whoops! this is wrong. Sorry I was going from memory which is a bad mistake at my age. There is a provision in EN 381-3 : 1996 for 'Additional cuts for footwear with non-metallic toecaps' (Para 6.2.5)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whoops! this is wrong. Sorry I was going from memory which is a bad mistake at my age. There is a provision in EN 381-3 : 1996 for 'Additional cuts for footwear with non-metallic toecaps' (Para 6.2.5)

It would be nice to see a video of these additional tests being carried out on a composite toe cap.

For the record, when I used to do a large amount of felling and recutting derelict coppice, I did manage to brush the toecap of a boot and slightly expose metal on a couple of occasions about 18 months apart. As others have mentioned, it wasn't a situation where full revs and power were being directed at the boot at great speed.... just a few residual revs as the saw winds down without throttle input.

after seeing that vid of lavaros we cut one up at work 2 cuts in toecap one just behind one down the one up the back and through the sole with a ms200t and always cut through never clogged up did not even blunt the saw opened our eyes to say the least

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been wondering for two years if the pfanner trol fighters have steel or composite caps and with the help of a 357 on tuesday i discovered they where steel....

personally i think no saw trousers are gona stop any pro saw going full bore...i once hit a pairs of sips with an ms46 and the only thing that stopped me cutting was feeling snow on my shins where the saw had pulled the trouser leg up but it was just spitting the kevlar out the back like saw dust and had cut through every layer and was about to go further!

thats what i was told too and i thought mine where the newer ones and they are definitly steel....but then again most acidents are kick back related when snedding or have been for me...... not quite the same conditions as dropping a 66 flat out on your boot