Chainsaw boot test

nailer

`PPE is not fool proof, its there to give a basic minimum of protection, the best form of protection is safe working! `

Imagine if you worked safely and used PPE that offered slightly more than a basic minimum.

For boots costing over £100 I don`t think a steel toe is too much to ask.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my old boss cut straight through his chainsaw trousers into his leg the saw never got clogged up we carried on using it without any kevlar being removed

at work we have a pile of kit for cutting will try to find time to do it and will record findings for you all

so far we have on our cut list

hiax

aquafell

elten terrain

new england metal strop

yale metal strop

hi flex x2

kneeflex

stretch airs

2 harnesses to fasten saws to and pull on bars to see what gives first either mountings bar or harness

have been going to do this since mid dec so dont hold your breath but will sort by feb

`PPE is not fool proof, its there to give a basic minimum of protection, the best form of protection is safe working! `

Imagine if you worked safely and used PPE that offered slightly more than a basic minimum.

For boots costing over £100 I don`t think a steel toe is too much to ask.

Those boots are designed to be light weight are they not? Part of there design is a fibreglass toe cap, its not the only boot with this type of toe cap I believe, its both lighter and cooler.

Go at a pair of Hi-flex with a 66 full bore, its very possible to get through the protection, do you want to go back to wear 12 layer ballistics?

And why not protection up your arms and neck while we are at, I know of some guys getting kick back injuries in these areas.

Then there rolling logs and crushing injuries, there is no protection against these other than toe caps.

There are a million and one ways to hurt yourself in this job, some very stupid.

I don't think a freak accident like cutting through a fibreglass toes cap is a major concern.

Maybe i'm wrong.

Personally I agree 100%, but in the interest of fairplay I just raised these points. I'd like the manufacturer to come on here and fight his corner! We are the end user, and have the right to have answers. Especially if they want to sell their boots.

I don't think any boot has protection in the toe (other than caps), or heel area. Its just the front portion which is covered.

And I think those boots are not the only ones with a fibreglass toe caps. Maybe the design needs re thinking on all boots?

Bob are your Aquafells (Composite) or Aquafell Experts (Steel)?? let us know when you've done your test, as a retailer would like to see the results.

We stopped selling the Lavoro Aquafells / Amazons when this video came out about 8 weeks ago, we sell to a lot of students and wouldn't like it playing on my mind, so stopped selling them.

Has any one cut through to the toe cap on there boots?. I've been cutting for 14+years and I ain't, if you think you might one thing you could do is spray your boots with fluorescent paint.

But as others have said good practice is the way to stay safe.

Bob are your Aquafells (Composite) or Aquafell Experts (Steel)?? let us know when you've done your test, as a retailer would like to see the results.

We stopped selling the Lavoro Aquafells / Amazons when this video came out about 8 weeks ago, we sell to a lot of students and wouldn't like it playing on my mind, so stopped selling them.

You got any Lavoro's going cheap, size 44?

we replaced all our aquafells with experts and was very disapointed to be honest 6 men with experts not very happy 3 with hiax not bothered 1 with meindels very happy would love to cut my experts but there only 2 months old