Chainsaw boot test

nailer

There was an article in one of the arb mags recently about an arborist who cut through to his toes while wearing chainsaw-protective boots - the same boots I wear and provide for my employees.

An advert in the next issue responded to this with reassurance.

Then a friend showed me this video:

I think this issue deserves clarification from those in the know.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem is?

So from that vid am I to understand that I must not let the groundie near my boots with a saw at full revs?

Sorry about the guy who cut his toe an all, but sh!t happens.

I think the main problem here marc is complacency. We are told that by wearing protective footwear, that we are safer, in the same way that wearing a seat belt in a car will save your life. Trouble is people just drive faster, in their cocoon of safety. Much the same with saws, "its ok I'm wrapped in safety wear, so I can cut closer to my body" helps push the boundaries. The less experienced believe all they are told, until it all goes wrong.

I think the main problem here marc is complacency. We are told that by wearing protective footwear, that we are safer, in the same way that wearing a seat belt in a car will save your life. Trouble is people just drive faster, in their cocoon of safety. Much the same with saws, "its ok I'm wrapped in safety wear, so I can cut closer to my body" helps push the boundaries. The less experienced believe all they are told, until it all goes wrong.

Well put,

I pay good money for my kit so I don't want to damage it, and the way I look at it is just because I have ppe on is no reason to get complacent.

And the other way I look at it is, I know my kit is not rated to save me from the full force of powerfull saws, only to lessen there impact!!!!

Just the way I know if I hit my steel core lanyard full bore i'll be able to cut through it. Same with my ropes, and if a big enough log hits me on the head not even the best military grade kevlar helmet is going to save me.

PPE is not fool proof, its there to give a basic minimum of protection, the best form of protection is safe working!

Be safe all.

And although the video shows the saw cutting thru the composite toe-cap, that is a concerted effort to do so. The toe-cap would deflect a glancing chainsaw, enough to protect your foot. Of course, if say cutting thru a llarge trunk, and your foot was directly in the path of the saw, and you revved the saw flat out at the boot, and didnt stop cutting at the point of impact, then you are asking for trouble.

well put ,spot on.