T540 not oiling.

Old Mill Tree Care

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I dismantled everything necessary and discovered that the oil pickup must have nestling in the corner and it also got cut by the chain!

Unbelievable!

So, I removed the worm gear thing and rubber hose, cut the filter thingy off the hose and cleaned out the hose.

Put it back together and the damn thing still doesn't oil the chain. Frustrating!

All the visible worm gear parts look fine but I can't see inside it.

Any advice appreciated.

PS: I killed myself then tried shouting but neither worked.

You need to check all the components, check the nylon worm gear fite snug in the back of the sprocket and the sprocket can turn it, check the condition of the nylon worm gear any sign of flat spots change it, remove the pump and pipe, the pump barrel should be a snug fit in the rubber block to make a seal to the pick up and delivery side of the pump, check the pick up side of the pipe is no damaged, split or collapsed, turn the pump gear with your finger there should be some sign of oil movment, sqirt some oil into the pump inlet side, turn shaft with a finger again the oil should come through to the delivery side, if not, turn the pump shaft and make sure it has a throw as well as turning ( move back and forth ) regardless of what some people think it is a good saw.

You need to check all the components, check the nylon worm gear fite snug in the back of the sprocket and the sprocket can turn it, check the condition of the nylon worm gear any sign of flat spots change it, remove the pump and pipe, the pump barrel should be a snug fit in the rubber block to make a seal to the pick up and delivery side of the pump, check the pick up side of the pipe is no damaged, split or collapsed, turn the pump gear with your finger there should be some sign of oil movment, sqirt some oil into the pump inlet side, turn shaft with a finger again the oil should come through to the delivery side, if not, turn the pump shaft and make sure it has a throw as well as turning ( move back and forth ) regardless of what some people think it is a good saw.

Did all of that and it's all good.

The only thing I can think of now is that there is a blockage in the pump. I blasted it both ways with air.

I'm at a loss.

I haven't read the rest of this post but here is my list: -

1) Flush the tank out with fuel to clear any gloopy shyte

2) take the oil pump off and get some WD40 etcin to one side of the pump so it blows out of the other side - if this doesn't happen, rotate the oil pump gear until it does.

3) Repeat above but blow the WD40 in from the other side of the pump - very fine woodchip can build up and plug pumps - a very common fault.

4) take the oil cap off and blast some WD40 down the oil pickup pipe that goes in to the tank.

5) blast some WD40 down the hole in the oil channel where the bar gets its oil from - make sure the hole isn't plugged.

6) CAREFULLY inspect the oiler pinion gear, make sure there isn't a flat worn on ANY of its gear, rotate it round following the thread making sure it is intact and perfect all the way round - I had one that had a break in the thread and had moulded in to a complete ring so it wouldn't drive the oiler gear.

7) Make sure whatever drives the oiler pinion gear is meshed correctly with the gear, if it is the clutch drum, pull it as far out as you can and ensure there is good contact between the two.

If you do the above, it is highly unlikely you wont have found the fault:thumbup:

I haven't read the rest of this post but here is my list: -

1) Flush the tank out with fuel to clear any gloopy shyte

2) take the oil pump off and get some WD40 etcin to one side of the pump so it blows out of the other side - if this doesn't happen, rotate the oil pump gear until it does.

3) Repeat above but blow the WD40 in from the other side of the pump - very fine woodchip can build up and plug pumps - a very common fault.

4) take the oil cap off and blast some WD40 down the oil pickup pipe that goes in to the tank.

5) blast some WD40 down the hole in the oil channel where the bar gets its oil from - make sure the hole isn't plugged.

6) CAREFULLY inspect the oiler pinion gear, make sure there isn't a flat worn on ANY of its gear, rotate it round following the thread making sure it is intact and perfect all the way round - I had one that had a break in the thread and had moulded in to a complete ring so it wouldn't drive the oiler gear.

7) Make sure whatever drives the oiler pinion gear is meshed correctly with the gear, if it is the clutch drum, pull it as far out as you can and ensure there is good contact between the two.

If you do the above, it is highly unlikely you wont have found the fault:thumbup:

Thanks Steve

I have done all of the above, except I didn't use WD40, I just used air.

The plastic threaded thing behind the clutch is perfect.

The metal worm gear thing that the plastic thing meshes into does have a flat spot on one of the 'teeth(?)'.

However, when I rotate the plastic thing, the metal worm drive rotates nicely and I don't feel that it gets impeded in and way.

The rubber tubes are defiantly not blocked.

I can only thing I can think of is that the worm drive is broken inside, out of sight.

Dunno!

I'm considering a good soak in the local lake might solve the issue!

Thanks Steve

I have done all of the above, except I didn't use WD40, I just used air.

The plastic threaded thing behind the clutch is perfect.

The metal worm gear thing that the plastic thing meshes into does have a flat spot on one of the 'teeth(?)'.

However, when I rotate the plastic thing, the metal worm drive rotates nicely and I don't feel that it gets impeded in and way.

The rubber tubes are defiantly not blocked.

I can only thing I can think of is that the worm drive is broken inside, out of sight.

Dunno!

I'm considering a good soak in the local lake might solve the issue!

If the oiler is plugged, the air may have failed to remove the plug, it can be pretty hard and difficult to remove. If you use a liquid aerosol, you can see there is flow on it. If you can attach a pipe on it, blowing through it is possible.

There will be something wrong with it, it is just finding it. Have you checked the tank breather? That can reduce flow significantly.

Check the breather and look at the pump again.

There will be something wrong with it, it is just finding it. Have you checked the tank breather? That can reduce flow significantly.

Check the breather and look at the pump again.

Where the hell is the breather? I didn't know there was one for the oil tank.

Of course there would have to be. Damn, I'm even dumber than my parents said!!