Second Hand ms200T or new T540 XP or ms201T??

The Tree Co

Having used all 4 of the saws, I own a 150t, I've owned a 200t, I've used both the 540 and 201.

I like the 540, it has tons of power and screams like a loony!

The 201 I'm not overly fussed with, there was a lot of negative hype, but those people can't tune a saw, the m-tronic replacing it will almost be as good as the 540.

The 150 is light and makes you cut properly, but it's no good for tree destroying, being 10-15cc smaller.

The 200t is what everyone seems to set as the benchmark, it's overly heavy, the av is crap, and if broken, pulls the saw apart. Everyone glosses over the fact it had an appalling carb, crap clutch springs, faulty wiring, an oil pump that either refused oil or emptied itself over the floor. It also weighed marginally less than the old all-metal 020. Oh, and crank seals that leak worse than the titanic!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got all 3 and as good as the 200t is people need to stop looking at it through rose tinted glasses, the av rubbers are weak the chain brake handles are weak the chain catchers are weak and they will almost certainly have carb issues, the 540 is just weak I would not recommend this saw it cuts well when it's not broken, the 201 is my choice it's basically maintance free and it's well built, the vast majority of the lads I work with have them and they have never changed a plug in them I recommend you check your fuel or carb settings if you're burning through plugs.

I'm sure we've been here a few times in the past couple of weeks....

200t is a good reliable saw, has its faults of course.

540 has a howler of an engine, but it will fall apart if you look at it too hard.

Current/old 201t is rubbish and awful.

New 201t M-tronic: I think its great. Go to the thread about it in the chainsaw section.

Let us know how you get on :001_smile:

I'm sure we've been here a few times in the past couple of weeks....

200t is a good reliable saw, has its faults of course.

540 has a howler of an engine, but it will fall apart if you look at it too hard.

Current/old 201t is rubbish and awful.

New 201t M-tronic: I think its great. Go to the thread about it in the chainsaw section.

Let us know how you get on :001_smile:

I'll correct you the current 201 is decent the old ones were terrible

Time might be a factor...eBay it pays to spend some time looking at what's going for how much and then you know when a good one comes up - I bought my 200t like this and I feel it's been a good second hand purchase.

If you want a new saw tomorrow then jumping into the used market is a gamble...I'd go new.

Leave the husky vs stihl debates to others!

Edited by stewmo
Didn't finish the post

I have a fairly mint 200t and treat it like its a bar of gold. I will probably cry the day it dies as I know I won't find another like it. A guy I subby for has not long had a 540. I think it's a great saw, powerful but it looks fragile so probably will be but the biggest problem for me is it ether has a small fuel tAnk or it can drink some as I have to fill it twice as much as the 200t. For me this is a big problem because the last thing you want to do is send the saw down for refuelling when you know the 200 and even the 201 will still be going strong!