Scum bags!

simonm

Just out of interest , if this were a job where the actual homeowner felt so aggrieved that he/she took legal proceeding with the view of you being 100 responsible for your actions what would you do ? What would you have documented that you took all reasonable steps to ensure that you had the permission of the owner ? . I'm not having a go but really have a think , I currently have a customer that feels the need to not pay and yes it is going down the court route , what was the first thing that Thomas Higgins asked for ?? my paper Trail , had I not had a paper trail and evidence to substantiate my claims it would have fallen apart in court . Thankfully there is a paper trail and the dependent had no room to argue

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there's a lesson to be learnt here,lets face it most of the jobs we price up and do,we are working for people whose background we dont know.

I know of many tree firm colleagues that quote with the price written on the back of their business card and a handshake,and finish with a hastily scribbled 'invoice' out of a dog eared duplicate book only if offered a cheque.

Whatever or whoever it was it was good to have this pointed out in case anyone else falls for a similar scam.

Somebody wrote about a telemarketing scam on here a while ago, a week later the same phone call came my way, the same con that was on here. A heads up is always nice

Thanks for the heads up on another scam, we can only undertake a certain amount of due diligence on customers, and it is exactly the same for customers when choosing a contractor to undertake work for them.

There seems a lot of threads on here recently where arguments are becoming quite common.

It is the season of goodwill so chill out, people & enjoy the festive season.

Just out of interest , if this were a job where the actual homeowner felt so aggrieved that he/she took legal proceeding with the view of you being 100 responsible for your actions what would you do ? What would you have documented that you took all reasonable steps to ensure that you had the permission of the owner ? . I'm not having a go but really have a think , I currently have a customer that feels the need to not pay and yes it is going down the court route , what was the first thing that Thomas Higgins asked for ?? my paper Trail , had I not had a paper trail and evidence to substantiate my claims it would have fallen apart in court . Thankfully there is a paper trail and the dependent had no room to argue

If you work on that basis unless I actully see prof of id then how could you guarantee that a this person is who they say they are and b their address is legit. If it came down to it then I would stand up in court and explain the situation I have voicemails & texts confirming the work and date. I am sure their is a million people who have been done before no matter how much paper work you have to substantiate what you have and have not done. Just because you don't have anything in writing does not mean the case will fall apart as you still have entered into a verbal contract, true signatures if are not forged back you up to some extent . It is down to the judge in small claims to listen to both sides and come to a dession on who is the victim. I agree in what you say however people who set out to do somebody out of money don't give 2 shi*s about what they agree to verbally or on paper.

Until your in that situation you dont know what you will be thinking or do. It could happen to any one. I deal with lots of honest customers so you build a alot of confidents with dealing with people so when a con man shows up you have no reason to doubt them otherwise we would have to judge every customer as scum unless they prove otherwise. The scum know we natrualy trust people and play on it. Its only when they make mistakes you smell a rat. Just be careful it could happen to any one of us. Paper trail is good but very time consuming so on smaller jobs probly not worth it or you would be spending more on ink than fuel!