Beavers

TreeswingerPerth

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking at the tree which is going to be dead standing and very soon in a dangerous condition dut to there being only about 3" of wood left holding it up. Having never heard of Ted Green or read any of his ideas I can only go by the evidence of the pictures I've seen. Where were they introduced and what restraints are in place to keep them in a suitable area ? I can see where they are suited to life in areas with big forests and rivers but felling the odd alder into a brook is not going to get them any good PR as far as I can see. How does cutting down trees which take up water alleviate flood plains and help with landscape engineering in the UK,it might work in Canada.

Edited by peatff

I'd rather see deer fences.

There is a massive skill in proper deer culling that requires full time Rangers / keepers to observe and count and manage , sadly with deer culling it's becoming more the norm as there isn't the money to employ people in the above professions so contract killers are brought in and shoot every thing on site... And the overall population suffers.

In a whole I don't believe in culling as more animals just move in with no hierarchy and breed like crazy wether it's foxes, badgers or deer.

I've seen keepers shoot a big dog fox and then have another 100 younger foxes move in and take its territory.

There's a time and a place but are beavers really at that point already ? I would love to see them in my back yard but there's nothing but spruce!

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1418246331.539938.jpg.f98885d57cd657c1116e9860321fbf5e.jpg

I was looking at the tree which is going to be dead standing and very soon in a dangerous condition dut to there being only about 3" of wood left holding it up. Having never heard of Ted Green or read any of his ideas I can only go by the evidence of the pictures I've seen. Where were they introduced and what restraints are in place to keep them in a suitable area ? I can see where they are suited to life in areas with big forests and rivers but felling the odd alder into a brook is not going to get them any good PR as far as I can see. How does cutting down trees which take up water alleviate flood plains and help with landscape engineering in the UK,it might work in Canada.

I'm sorry, just so we're clear, you're basing your argument on photographs?

Matty F. When you say you would like to see them in your backyard, do you actually mean your back yard or do you mean the surrounding area where you walk the dog and take in that wonderful view.

If they were 75m from your back door dropping 300mm diameter ash and willow at a rate of 1 new tree every 3 days you may not like them as much.

I really wish the powers that be would think these things through a bit more.

The only tree we haven't lost at the mo are beech.

We have had to mesh up the trunks of a couple of hundred trees.

I just think we cannot turn this country back to what it was years ago it has changed to much and there are parts of the country were certain types of wildlife just won't fit back in.

Please don't think I'm some kind of animal hater as I'm not, I just think certain things fit in and others don't.