They Cancelled on me at 3.15pm

GTS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

X3

I wouldn't have time to traul papers or planning apps on the off chance I find something . Smacks of desperation to me, and will do to most customers .

Lads trying to get work and get on as far as I'm concerned! Like I said if it states they have an agent (tree surgeon) I don't send the letter

It's always a bit disheartening when you loose work in such a way, especially if you have put in the leg work for TPO or CA permission. I, like others have said just charge for the TPO/CA application and move on. One that really winds me up and it's happened a couple of times recently is giving a professional and informed and detailed quote, spending an hour discussing what they want and then getting the email, thanks for your detailed and professional quote, we enjoyed talking to you blahs, Blahh, but we have gone for another company based purely upon cost!!! What's the point of trying to do a good job and be professional if that's what happens!!

If I openly had such low regard for my competitors I wouldn't have the nerve to subscribe to a forum where I could be perceived as benfitting from the knowlwdge/opinions of exactly those people.

Still, hiding behind an alias and remaining geographically anonymous does make it easier.

I've often wondered what happened to those jobs where they accept a verbal quote, you follow up with a written one, do the tpo application and here no more.....now I know.

not my cup of tea, as mentioned I prefer to get on with others. I have worked for or with most of them over the years.

back to the topic though, its tough, people will be people and it will probably happen again.

about 5 years ago a regular client had to have his trees done asap. The only day I could do was a couple of days after my sons first op to correct a cleft lip and pallet. I had had a few weeks off and needed the money.

I left the hospital at 5 in the morning, he had his mum with him, but it was hard. I went to yard and got chipper etc and drove to his house to meet my colleague. When I got there, he was out and the trees had been done. To say I was angry was a understatement.

I rang his mobile, no answer, even more angry. I rang on my friends mobile he answered. I explained where I had just come from to do his trees and was not blessed pleased.

Did you not get my message he said, if I did I would not be here I explained.

He said there will be more tree work to come but I suggested politely he uses his new tree company.

Lesson learnt, but I was angry for a while, got me no where though. move on and find more loyal clients, good luck.

p.s if a tree company has made an application, get over the fact you weren't asked to quote and let them do it!!

Thanks Felix. T&Cs, something that I haven't gotten into as yet. I have always tried/ thought I maybe a good judge when it comes to making a business? Maybe I need to have a rethink. Will search terms on here thanks chaps

You would do well to take some time and read the following from Citizens Advice regarding the law and "off premises sales" (which covers us as tree surgeons): Citizens Advice - Off-premises sales

T&C are good business practice, they let the client know where they stand and provides you with a way of extracting money from difficult clients (such as in your case).

If your worried about the impact on your business just remember to sell it in a positive way; it shows your professional, its protecting the client, you're being open, honest and transparent. Also, it's the law!

I had a client try to do that to me yesterday with a job my 2nd crew were starting today, saying they had a "friend" who could do the job cheaper.

I pointed out that the jobs already been accepted, scheduled and that they can no more pull out of an agreed contract than I could double the price once the jobs done. (verbal agreement)

This job had required alot of organisation, emails with multiple parties and alot of general hassle. We had come through where others hadnt.

Other times I have let these kind of jobs go, but I wasnt going to be further messed around at this point. I feel for you