I just got me a new Stihl 201T-C with M-tronic...

ArborClimber

Nope, i have always said the 201t was good. Also ive ran a stihl 261 for the last 3 years or so and it has been great.

Which chainsaw is best threads are utter rubbish, can you really spare the time?

The 201 hasn't been good it been reliable but not good the newer ones the 2014 are good but the later models were terrible unless you drilled them. The 261 isn't a bad saw but put it against a 550 and it's bad then but that's my opinion I'm not stihl or a husky fan boy I like what is the most powerful and robust which will make it cheaper and easier for me, I'll go back to the Husky 540 I've only ever met 1 person happy with this saw its not an isolated case same as the lack of power in the old 201's quite simply these saws weren't tested to the max until they broke that how every piece of testing should happen then you can improve on those flaws

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe any one has ever slagged off the 66, I certainly hope they haven't, as its the finest saw ever built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

Floppy brake handles, faulty oilers and exploding clutches. Although a very customisable saw with all the parts!

I don't believe any one has ever slagged off the 66, I certainly hope they haven't, as its the finest saw ever built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

Which 066:sneaky2: Stihl have used around 5 different flywheels, changed the carb jets, five differtent coils, the cylinders have changed, the air box has changed, the crankshaft was uprated on the flywheel side as it kept spinning off hence the poly wheel!:lol:

The earlier ones had more go but also had more vicious starting characeristics - is it a good saw? I guess so, it has been around long enough:biggrin:

Which 066:sneaky2: Stihl have used around 5 different flywheels, changed the carb jets, five differtent coils, the cylinders have changed, the air box has changed, the crankshaft was uprated on the flywheel side as it kept spinning off hence the poly wheel!:lol:

The earlier ones had more go but also had more vicious starting characeristics - is it a good saw? I guess so, it has been around long enough:biggrin:

Thats it in a nutshell really isn't it.. the longer the saw is on the market the more changes/improvements they make and hey presto "best saw ever" starts to get spoken.. bet everyone that had a 020 was cursing the 200t when it first came out.. times change, saws change, Arborists should change... but don't haha

How did you get on with the new saw?

Thank you Mr F, for bringing the subject back from where we seem to have digressed.

OK, everyone stop your anti-Stihl/anti-Husky whinging and shut up a moment, and I will try and give a wee decent review.

First, I like Huskies, have used a lot of them and think they are great machines, and currently only use Stihls (as that's what the boss buys), and also think they are very good bits of kit.

However, I didn't like the 201t, as I found the trigger too sluggish, and just didn't seem to have the power that the 200t had, so I stuck to my 200t, modded and tuned it, and told the boss not to buy any more 201's

But I heard good things about the 201T-C with M-tronic, and am pleasantly surprised. I'll try my best......

- Looks: No different. At all. But the switch has been changed. Instead of having specific off/on/halfchoke/choke spots to click into, its constantly in "on" position. Push it forward to turn off, but springs back to the "on" position. Similar principle with the choke. Pull it back, springs automatically forward.

Performance: The important bit. Please bear in mind, this is on its first full tank of fuel. Let it run on idle for a few minutes, and idle and blubber it did, quite happily. After a bit of warming up and revving, it DID NOT have the horrible sluggishness and lack of power as the old one. Once I used it for a while, I have no complaints with the power.

It doesn't feel as "aggressive" (less kick-back) as the 200 to begin with, but that doesn't suggest lack of power. Myself and a workmate had a couple of cutting races (small bits and dirty great big stems), he with the new saw, myself with my tuned 200. We didn't see any noticeable differences,

The biggest thing for me, was "responsiveness", power off the mark when i pull the trigger, that i always get from my 200, and that's also instant with the 540, that you didn't get with the old 201. Thankfully, it IS instant with the T-C. After a wee bit of warming (as is normal with every saw), there was no lag or hesitation at all, straight to full power, of which there seems to be plenty.

Durability: Can't say much on this, as I didn't do any heli-fellings, dismantles, or rock climbing with it. The couple of thinnings and reducings i did do today, it seemed to cope with the usual bashings as any other 200.

Economy: Fuel usage is minimal. Still haven't had to refill yet.

You asked for a decent review, I tried my best. If any questions, I will answer if I can. I will write another wee review update in the new year, after it has had a bit more abuse, per request.

Hope this has been a wee bit useful!

:001_smile: