Dangerous Agricultural / Forestry Vehicles

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

The farmers down my way who are feeding digesters are making big cash ,well enough for a local one of ours to buy a crane hire business

That man is THE man feeding digesters. The big boys who own/rent big acreages can hardly be called farmers these days.

A farmer is someone who works the land, a landowner/tenant who is a big employer and spends their time between office and Range Rover is a business man imho.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That man is THE man feeding digesters. The big boys who own/rent big acreages can hardly be called farmers these days.

A farmer is someone who works the land, a landowner/tenant who is a big employer and spends their time between office and Range Rover is a business man imho.

THE man as you put it does farm land and describes himself as a farmer and a business man I think many businessmen will still call themselves farmers it's quite a loose term and they don't employ as many as they used to.

THE man as you put it does farm land and describes himself as a farmer and a business man I think many businessmen will still call themselves farmers it's quite a loose term and they don't employ as many as they used to.

I didn't mean I think he's the man, I meant it as in he's the man in digestion round here. He's doing well for himself and the way people are talking about him it's like they begrudge his success. I don't know him, I've never met him, but being bitter about another man's business won't do anyone any favours.

That's the way to do it!

We get all ours from friends / neighbours. Small scale, not intensive, local, money or work in return, minimal middle men, minimal transport etc etc.

Almost sounds like a workable idea, kind of like the way it used to be - I wonder if it will ever catch on?

Be nice if it did, my great grandad was the last full time farmer in our family, farmed 12 acres, off which he could feed his family and have surplus to sell, to put it in perspective I'm farming 50 acres all rented under various agreements and have to work 5 days a week to make ends meet :001_rolleyes:

I didn't mean I think he's the man, I meant it as in he's the man in digestion round here. He's doing well for himself and the way people are talking about him it's like they begrudge his success. I don't know him, I've never met him, but being bitter about another man's business won't do anyone any favours.

I do know him and am not at all bitter and don't begrudge him any success ,but it kind of knocks your starvation theory when we alter markets with subsidies when we no longer grow food to eat.

I have seen farmers / landowners / businessmen be paid to remove trees / hedgerows be paid to put them back and around me fence fields with not a hint of livestock and this is why the subsidy system needs reformed so that those small farms that need it get help but the huge landowner businesses can survive on their own just like we have to.

I do know him and am not at all bitter and don't begrudge him any success ,but it kind of knocks your starvation theory when we alter markets with subsidies when we no longer grow food to eat.

I have seen farmers / landowners / businessmen be paid to remove trees / hedgerows be paid to put them back and around me fence fields with not a hint of livestock and this is why the subsidy system needs reformed so that those small farms that need it get help but the huge landowner businesses can survive on their own just like we have to.

Not much wrong with that point of view! It's way past time for review.

The original reason of posting this (to prevent more needless deaths) seems to have been lost in a ramble about farming in general. Yes correct the vehicle was run into from behind in the dark/fog BUT the tractor was invisible as had NO lights, NO reflectors, NO numberplate and we think uninsured/untaxed. Thank goodness no one else killed!!

A life wasted due to poor maintenance and vehicle condition. I have spoken to the man's friends and brother and told the tractor was like this for a long time and his Land Rover was also in a shocking condition (so an accident looking for somewhere to happen)

Tractors and trailed vehicles should be in a road legal condition with no excuses on maintenance. There is going to be an investigation and looks like DVLA/VOSA/Police will be checking vehicles soon so be warned.

ok, back to the derail.

farmers guardian email news

"New data from Defra showed the Total Income From Farming for 2013 grew to £5.63 billion."

now, how much does the population spend on food,

mortgage,

nails/hair

ect, we are paying Europe an extra 1.7 billion due to economy doing well.

so farming aint that important in the scheme of things.?

???????????

ok, back to the derail.

farmers guardian email news

"New data from Defra showed the Total Income From Farming for 2013 grew to £5.63 billion."

now, how much does the population spend on food,

mortgage,

nails/hair

ect, we are paying Europe an extra 1.7 billion due to economy doing well.

so farming aint that important in the scheme of things.?

???????????

Can't quite fathom what you're saying there Bob! Did chuckle at the 'back to derail' approach though!!

Can't quite fathom what you're saying there Bob! Did chuckle at the 'back to derail' approach though!!

was going to look up the GDP of the uk. 2014 2.9 trillion.

so primary food production contributes 2% to the economy.

if i have the decimal point correct.

bugger all.

then what is the publics spend on food,when its in a packet. and what proportion of their income or GDP is that.

why.

we sold oats at £150 /tonne this year.

in aldi basic cheapo rolled oats £0.65/kg or £650 / tonne

explain/discuss.