How long does your PPE last you?

deezyboy

I searched for this but couldn't find anything posted before.

How long does your PPE last you? I know, how long is a piece of string but...

Ive gone through 3 pairs of Oregon waipou trousers in about 2 years, now gone on to SIP and although comfier the pocket zip has already gone bust after 2 months.

I've used Stein explorer boots since day 1 and find them really comfortable but have gone through 2 pairs in 2 years, mother was yelling tonight as she thought I had worn my boots upstairs, in actual fact the muddy tracks were a result of my soaking wet and plastered in mud SOCKS! the sole comes just comes straight off after a while.

Is there anything anyone does to prolong their ppe? Its important stuff and I wouldn't work without any of it, but at the same time its cost me £885 in 2.5 years!

I agree about the boots sole always comes off! i have done 2 pair this year! i do hammer them though

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got 7 years out of stretchair trousers, still using them but bought another pair for the inevitable.

3 years, treeme aquastops, put as new insole in them though as they can hurt some people. Just bought prabos boots, bit of a niggle in the leather and its giving me jip, dubbin at the ready to soften up.

I searched for this but couldn't find anything posted before.

I've used Stein explorer boots since day 1 and find them really comfortable but have gone through 2 pairs in 2 years, mother was yelling tonight as she thought I had worn my boots upstairs, in actual fact the muddy tracks were a result of my soaking wet and plastered in mud SOCKS! the sole comes just comes straight off after a while.

Is there anything anyone does to prolong their ppe? Its important stuff and I wouldn't work without any of it, but at the same time its cost me £885 in 2.5 years!

I've had a pair of Stein explorers doing comercial forestry and they've lasted a good two years- granted the last 6 months they let the water in like a sieve but considering the work the've done for £150 well worth the money.

Super glue and dubbin are work boots best friends! :thumbup1:

Another good tip is not to wear your chainsaw gear if you don't need it.

You don't want to be digging out stumps in £200 boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

This! I only wear chainsaw gear when it's needed, and will happily change out of/into it during the day. Only takes 2 minutes, and who wants to climb in cutting trousers and boots when you aren't using a chainsaw?

I also swear by pfanner kevlar extreme trousers. My first pair lasted me 4 years on the job, nothing else comes close.

I've had 3 pairs of stihl hiflex thingys and rotate them, absolute rubbish, never again they just fall to bits at the seams, Velcro on pockets fall off, plastic zips fall off and even the stitches stihl badge rubbed off, most stihl products are going down hill. They just seem to compromising on quality but putting prices up how does that work?

Slight derail as we are talking boots and trousers, but visors are the thing I destroy. Got a petzl aveo vent with the woven mesh visor. I can't get more than three weeks out of a visor. To be fair in Connie's I do use them as a face guard. Just ordered some mesh goggles of landmark using the theory that a few stabs in the face will teach me to move my head more efficiently and protect my visor/goggles. Any one got any thoughts?