Skyline timber and tree extraction

Mr Ed

Very nice pictures, cool to see something different as well, was the bog surface relatively solid for walking over, I used to work on blanket bog restoration in England and Scotland and some sites were absolute pigs to just walk over so i dont envy you having to work on a site like that (ok thats a lie i do envy you slightly, especially with all the cool equipment)

Ed do you think the Skyline was more productive than a Helicopter, given the reasons of costings or was it over all just more practical for site, also did the skyline lift the timber clear of the ground as its a pretty flat site and what distances were you pulling it in over?

Very nice pictures, cool to see something different as well, was the bog surface relatively solid for walking over, I used to work on blanket bog restoration in England and Scotland and some sites were absolute pigs to just walk over so i dont envy you having to work on a site like that (ok thats a lie i do envy you slightly, especially with all the cool equipment)

Ed do you think the Skyline was more productive than a Helicopter, given the reasons of costings or was it over all just more practical for site, also did the skyline lift the timber clear of the ground as its a pretty flat site and what distances were you pulling it in over?

The Bog is quite dry in a lot of places, lots of meliniana grass growing, but in other places you'll dissapear if you tread in the wrong spot. Your right though, just walking on that site sorts the men from the boys.

I am yarding out to over 400m in places. I can do full suspension logging, even on the flat ground, but it requies tip + butt chaining, which is very time consuming.

As for the helicopter vs skyline, its like asking if a helicopter would be better than a toaster for making toast.

A timber yarder is designed for timber extraction, a helo is'nt.

Plus I own a skyline yarder, and dont own a helicopter...

Although I am in the process of buying a MIL Mi26

mi26_01.jpg

you would clear up the uk helo lifting sector if you got one of them! :001_tt1:

holy moly thats a big chopper:001_tt1:i felled for a skyline once years ago when i was pretending to be a lumberjack in argyl, it was on the side of a mountain. it was amazing what the guys could clear once they got set up. :001_cool:on the same site they had felled for a chinook to see if it would be better, it never even got near to the job due to weather conditions:ohmy:

great looking job. thats just off the A590 isnt it? i've been doing a bit of felling in meathop which is about 5 miles up the road. a few bits of local advice, best pies and sandwiches local to that job are from hgginsons the butchers in grange. the stricklad arms in levens is great for a pint and food. would it be ok to call i and see everything working at some point?

great looking job. thats just off the A590 isnt it? i've been doing a bit of felling in meathop which is about 5 miles up the road. a few bits of local advice, best pies and sandwiches local to that job are from hgginsons the butchers in grange. the stricklad arms in levens is great for a pint and food. would it be ok to call i and see everything working at some point?

Grange is great, we do our shopping there. By all means come and visit us - were there for the next 3 weeks.

This is an AWESOME job, i was lucky enough to do 4 days for Ed on this job last week, Really enjoyed it. :001_tt1:

As said, Just walking across the site is incredibly tough, Nevermind draggin the haul out cable around, seriously tiring in the heat we've had.

Top job and a cracking bunch of lads!! :001_cool: