Start-up vehicle

emcgee

The thing a pickup has over a van or jeep is it can hold anything in the back, regardless of how wet it is, how it smells, weather its chip, logs or trimmings. even having a saw in a car you get the fumes off it, never mind leylandi trimmings with the Hedge cutter and some ahem foreign material in it! If I never needed the 4wd id have a 2wd hilux, works fine and can use it as a car... The blue hiluxes body is somewhere in norwich, its engine and gearbox are in nigeria and its turbo is off the west coast of Canada! Im always looking for a vw transporter pickup body to convert the current truck into a tipper!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What 4 x 4s do you run mate? Plenty of L200's in my area but heard mixed reviews. How much would you look at investing in a 4 x 4? Cheers

'02 Disco td5 that cost £5k, too good to get knocked about but good to meet customers/quotes etc & an '02 L200 of my son's that cost him £3k. Both have been excellent for heavy towing but IMO theres no truck suitable for every occasion.

Won't be long before we'll need a Tranny tipper to chip into rather than using the 4 wheel trailer with greedy boards.

Can't recommend the Isuzu NKR/grafter range enough. They are like little lorries and pull like trains. The one in the pic below is newish but older ones can be had relatively cheaply and go on and on if they are looked after. IMO they are much better built for tree work than transits etc

Looks like a proper unit that, awesome!

I used to use an ex Forestry Commission Renault Kangoo Trekka van a couple years back when I was 20 years old: business insurance was about £1700 if I remember correctly, it couldn't tow a great amount and got dizzy with the flumes from all the tools in the back.

3 years on I have just bought a Mitsubishi L200 and business insurance is £580, I can throw anything in the back and tow almost twice the amount.

I have a tipping trailer and hire chippers as and when I need them. It works well with me however I still do a lot of subcontracting and it is also my personal car otherwise I would have gone with a transit tipper.

Goes to show what a couple years can do. Would have to say Transit tipper is the best option in my opinion.

Jay

If you don't actually need 4x4 you're wasting cash paying for a 4x4 diff.

Transit type trucks win on volume by a mile, but are truly awful off road.

Even slightly.

Extra cab tipper is a good compromise, but they are hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I started out with a sj410 have had several 90s,110 and discos and have finally brought my first arb truck I brought a 130 as it suits my work and also I can tow everything I need to you can find them relatively cheep I payed 4k for mine tipper high sides the lot but it did take me 18months to find it and a 6 hour each way drive to collect if your not off the road nkr would get my vote every time good towing capacity handles loads better than the transit