transit tipper springs question upgrades to 5t ones?

prolinep

As all iv done is what the OP is going to do "make his truck look right when loaded" so ether fit H/D springs or an air bag kit job done. !!

If you are going down this slippery path dont forget the barn doors, what the eyes dont see and all that.

Bob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We did 4 small castlewellans last week - approx 25 ft high, all went in a trailer and on a weigh bridge and weighed just under 2 ton. Sort of job youd do when you had a spare afternoon. Point being they weighed nearly 2 tonnes, were nothing to get excited about but would have put a 3.5 tonner over the weight surely? Only know the weight cos I couldnt look at the job properly, messed up and ended up milling it up in in a trailer due to not taking chipper.

It's s risk you take in afraid, I've never been pulled in 10 years and I've never heard of anyone being pulled for being overloaded but if you're that concerned I'd recommend getting a 7.5 tonner or a uni mog I wouldn't waste my time with a 5.5 ton I'd rather take the risk with a normal 3.5 tone flame me if you want but that's how it is, I also use a top handle with one hand and occasionally on the floor just in case you want to flame me :001_tt2:

I'm with you on the trailer bud I also run an ifor its a 3.5 tonne trailer & is only 800 kg (ish) so had a 2.7 tonne (ish) payload "but" ant we ment to run a tacho now for trailers ? I'm not 100% up on this and in my transit I'm got a taco factory fitted on the dash is that ment for towing ?

that I'm aware of no taco is needed for trailers which is why i also run one, but i fill that right up and with chip I'm still in weight. problem is if i take trailer i have to take a second vehicle to take chipper hence why transit seems to be my best bet.

whats the law on down rating an iveco ?? or any other make ?? reason i thought of putting harder springs on a transit was just the fact that i wasn't wanting something like a spring to snap if i over loaded it :/ ??

You've got to remember ford, iveco or any other van maker sell out side the uk,

This 3.5 ton on a transit will not apply in certain countries, these springs will be rated well over the 3.5 ton mark

Quick edit I've never seen a leaf sping snap in a transit or an iveco in my 10 years

Ironically I replaced the springs on my 94 transit 190 crewcab tipper 3 yrs ago with oem ones, MOT last month failed as both middle leaves had snapped (looked overladen even when springs were new so don't notice !) so this week put on beefed op ones, I'm still probably not legal but with logs on back and trailer fully loaded they've barely moved!ImageUploadedByArbtalk1415524680.046415.jpg.66bd5d9b6d8e9eb9322fb3bc8836c821.jpg