Stihl MS 170 as a good topper?

FlyingSquirrel

If we are going to put an ms 170 on the same level as an ms200T ....no its not in any way evan close to its performance!

Once had the pleasure of climbing with one at the end of a days subbing felling a largish dead cherry on the way home,one of the guys had already gone back to the yard with the climbing saw on his truck so i was stuck with the chipper saw,gave it a quick sharpen made a strop and got cracking,it would not oil properly,completely gutless and flimsey and after giving it back in a peice of smoking mess i finished the climbing off with a ms46 instead....I could not imagine it would be any good in leylandii hedges and id rather use a silky pruning...sorry to slate the saw but its not imo up to the demands of a climbing saw.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smallest saw I use for climbing is a MS 200. We had a 200T that went missing from a jobsite before I started climbing. Was never really a fan of it though, felt that I didn't have nearly the control with the 200T that I do with the 200. Was thinking if the 170 would be good to climb with the lighter/smaller saw would be good but if it doesn't compare to a 200/200T I'll not bother with one.

• 1 month later...

I use one to cut cord wood in half before putting on processor 8-10" stuff cant beat it. Light to handle . Cheap on fuel especially if you need to leave it idle while moving timber. Cheap if you crush it. I would say better than you should expect for the money but not tough enough for arb work. You need to keep the blade sharp at all times.

• 11 months later...

I have a mate who has been climbing for nigh on 25 years....he has been sing them second hand for £50 for ages and ages. Swears by them, although he did buy a 200t earlier this year. At £50 he argued it was pointless getting a topper.