Help needed to fix my first chipper

aiden

All bits for the 180 can be had from GreenMech. If it is a 180 with 4 cylinder engine then it may be common with the 220 range which is still in production - therefore parts may be on the shelf!

Filter housing is from the suction side and if it isn't leaking, hold it up with a couple of ties for now.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THanks for all the replies, have been on phone to greenmech few times today and they have great customer care, really helpfull. So looks like since my chipper is 1999 i cant fit the newer 220 suspesion units, but lucky when i undid the old fulllbeam suspension under a lot of dirt there was the manufaturer sicker. When i called them they said could make me new by wednesday ( searched google last night for ages and every where else was 2-4 weeks to get axle made). Now have all parts ordered , clutch cable, hydrolic oil cap, axle, wheels, brake , brake cables ,new lights £644 and i will be chipping by next week :)

Now as for maintenace going to do new oil and cooling lquid and air, fuel filters, do i need to change hydrolic oil?

Also anyone got service manual or user manual for a cm180 please ?

Thanks for the replys, think the seller was honest as he told me he had changed the bearings on one wheel but said he hadnt done other side as they were ok.

That's most likely the problem, but not the way you're thinking.

£20 says the seller changed the bearing, and nipped it up one more castellation to eliminate all play.

A tiny bit of play in a wheel bearing is almost a given. Do them up till there's none and they will heat up and blow. Especially after a prolonged run down the motorway.

• 2 weeks later...

Pull the motor off and check the splines - they wear faster on the roller than the motor and gm supply a weld on replacement splined boss so the roller is salvageable (if it isn't otherwise knackered!) but you'll need a decent fabricator to sort it out. If the splines are good then it could be a tired motor - you could swap the motors and see if the problem migrates to the bottom which will answer the question.

Bad luck but atleast your back chipping now!

Re feed roller issue I'd pull off the motor and check the splines out, if they look ok then double check if the motors are the same, if so swap the motors over and see if the problem moves to the bottom feed roller.

Chances are if the motor Is at fault it'll be leaking internally and maybe able to get it repaired my a hydraulics company.

On a later GM I worked on recently we had a feed roller problem and it turned out to be over greased! The grease couldn't escape and made the feed roller hard to turn! We enlarged the grease channel and perfect. I'm not saying that's your problem here but check your basic stuff before spending £

Ok spent some time today on the chipper, got the roller motor out eventually! The splines on motor and on roller look ok. So will swap motors next week ( not looking forward to undoing bottom motor as not much space and needed big bar for leavarge to undo top motor). Did notice that the bungee in pic had come off the stand , the bugee seems to hold the hydrolic controll to one side ( could this part be the problem with top roller?). Thanks again for all the help , i am learning alot:)

IMG_20141115_154842.jpg.0a6d960e023f495a0bf2ddf3af4d54c7.jpg

IMG_20141115_152509.jpg.e534574cd7c3d223d5662b4fd97ad7ad.jpg

IMG_20141115_150256.jpg.6f210a9cf33b3371c54080b16adb5fb7.jpg

IMG_20141115_150243.jpg.b416c1a8f85c50452eed6fb6b2ef7458.jpg

IMG_20141115_150143.jpg.4dc0f27f568cae733fe1ff2be3d52184.jpg

IMG_20141115_150050.jpg.27cfe1c942cef2470000ac678ad00dbd.jpg