Electric chain sharpeners

18 stoner

This one is always a marmite/religion type argument - someone told me they could sharpen a 24" chain mullered on a nail in 5 minutes once using files. I would have really liked to see that:001_rolleyes::lol:

I use a bench grinder if the chain needs to be trued up due to the cutters being unequal length or being damaged by hitting something it shouldn't. If doing it by file, it takes forever and is the most boring job possible.

I use a few techniques with a grinder, if the sparks stop, the disk is glazed and this can be broken with a diamond file. someone earlier said the opposite - I don't get that because our tool makers when I was in manufacturing always did the same, de-glaze if there were no sparks.

I also pulse the wheel up and down slowly so it allows the cutter to cool and not glow red:001_rolleyes: This usually works well - I can't get the different disks on mine as it is a cheapy!

Files are great for touching up or for fine tuning but on a severely damaged chain needing large amounts taken off, a bench grinder is invaluable!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder after reading all the posts would a variac not help by slowing the grinders down ??

this is mine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRANSFORMER-VARIABLE-10A-MCCMCTV10-1824816-/271343815901?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f2d5a0cddbut never tried it on my chinkychonky grinder from silverline but might try it tomorrow and let you know

Edited by predator

I don't hand sharpen enough now to keep my hand in. I like my lidless bench grinder but you need to be careful as they will take too much off. If I have a low cutter I don't take the rest down to match it. Why kill half a chain due to one cutter. The other thing you need to do is dress the stone every few chains other wise the stone wears on one side and dulls so you spend too long in the cut. A sign it needs dressing is lots of sparks. I use an old concrete diamond disc from a 4 inch grinder just kiss the stone with the diamond cutter on its side.

You do not need to bring all the cutters down to the shortest. Its only when you have 4 or so you needs to do this. Chain length depending of course.

Thats easily doable with a fresh file.

YouTube it go on! There are enough sad people to watch it.

Rules are start video with chain cutting poorly.

Sharpen chain.

Cut same piece of timber further down where its thicker to show nice chips and cut speed.

Mount camera device in a permanent position throughout. No stopping of camera. One continuous shot.

If huck won't do it. I'm sure another expert could.

YouTube it go on! There are enough sad people to watch it.

Rules are start video with chain cutting poorly.

Sharpen chain.

Cut same piece of timber further down where its thicker to show nice chips and cut speed.

Mount camera device in a permanent position throughout. No stopping of camera. One continuous shot.

If huck won't do it. I'm sure another expert could.

I'll see what I can do :001_smile:

Thats easily doable with a fresh file.

OK, 24" chain is 84 drive links, thats 42 cutters and 42 depth gauges/rakers assuming you are not using half or full skip chain.

5 mins gives you 300 seconds so around 7 seconds per cutter and raker set or perhaps 6 seconds to take in to the account rotating the chain to each cutter. I would guess 1 sec per stroke - thats 4 on the cutter and 2 on the raker on a mullered chain???

I am not talking about a chain that needs tickling up but one that has lost its hook, been battered by stone or nail or its cutters are totally uneven!! I would like to see you do one like that in 5 minutes new file or not!

A chain that is just losing its edge may be possible but not the sort of sharpening I was suggesting!