Electric chain sharpeners

18 stoner

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need an eye for a chain when using them but I use the lidl £20 job once a week with great success. New discs available so no problem with getting spares.

If you don't have an eye you can over heat the cutters whilst trying to take too much off. Depth adjustment's critical and there's no facility to reduced the rakers.

Having said that works for me.

I have the granberg from chainsawbars. I reckon on a full time outfit. It will recover the cost of chains saved and time saved quite quickly.

I do have a disc type which is ok for a reset of teeth but not as good as the granberg.

I have the Oregon unit which I tend to use on chains which have been dinged on something. For every day sharpening i still prefer a file as the bench sharpener takes off excessive metal where a file works best for just dressing the chain back to sharp.

I made a video and posted it here:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/video-forum/68389-oregon-mini-bench-chain-grinder.html

Hate electric sharpeners, gets cutters too hot and case hardens them,then loses its edge quickly and cannot be sharpened with a file, stones need constant dressing, sharpen with s file by hand.

Obviously I'd try and avoid overheating the cutters, but how does it work that if this does happen and they are hardened, they lose their edge quickly? Would it not keep them sharp longer?

Hate electric sharpeners, gets cutters too hot and case hardens them,then loses its edge quickly and cannot be sharpened with a file, stones need constant dressing, sharpen with s file by hand.

:thumbup1:

A fresh file and a good eye is faster and gives a better edge IMO.