Hawthorn in my knuckle

samiad

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been on an awful site clearance clearance job and ended up spiking my knuckle prettt deep with a thorn yesterday.Feels very painful and is a bit swollen, its only a small puncture wound and i cant tell if anythings still inside (dont think so). Anyone got any top tips? Its to grip, hurts!

Blackthorn left in the wound is worth seeing to and off to the doc if it doesn't get better in a few days.

Hawthorn on the other hand or even in the same hand; I personally just live with it. Worked a hawthorn hedge begining this week and got a fare few thorns go through gloves and sleeves. Any that were left in at the end of each day, got washed and extracted with tweezers. The bits that wouldn't come out or felt like they hadn't, I just lived with. There's visual signs of grazes & puncture wounds galore, from fingertips to near elbows. But only one is still a little tend now. The slight swelling is gone and it's only when I grip things I even notice it.

In most cases, just learn to live with pain now and then. It'll only be for a short while. But if the wound/s give you grief for longer than you feel comfortable with, (if that's the appropriate phrase) get yourself off to the doc. If any wounds get worse rather than better in proceeding days, get yourself off to the doc. If the pain gets worse rather than easing, get yourself off to the doc.

Which gloves were you using? The Ripeur gloves are great protection from natures needles & in case you're interested there's a thread about them on arbtalk, somewhere. Cheers, steve

I was wearing anti vibration gloves for drilling. No protection on back of hand really. Il check em out!

A year or so ago I had a problem from a Pyracantha thorn into a finger joint capsule. Took months to get full movement back and was painful. Regular cold bandage wraps to reduce swelling and Vit C to boost immune system to fight infection was carried out.

In my research I saw it mentioned that Crataegus had infection on their spines as part of their defence mechanism. I found that difficult to believe. Moral wear good gloves

A year or so ago I had a problem from a Pyracantha thorn into a finger joint capsule. Took months to get full movement back and was painful. Regular cold bandage wraps to reduce swelling and Vit C to boost immune system to fight infection was carried out.

In my research I saw it mentioned that Crataegus had infection on their spines as part of their defence mechanism. I found that difficult to believe. Moral wear good gloves

I am with you on that, more often than not any infection is from the bacteria on your skin that gets pushed in with the thorn

...and don't forget to record it in the accident book...stop yawning! :biggrin:

You're probably self-employed but if employed / sub-contracted, accident book entries can be a useful tool for going back to the boss n saying we've had several of these so either need to change how we work, e.g. machinery / flails, or need better PPE (which is usually more expensive.)

Sorry, HnS take on it but I do hope it gets sorted soon as sounds painful.

Take care..

Paul

Knuckle jabs from Hawthorn are worse than a shelf ime, it will release histamen into your system, I carry anti histamine in the van, take 1 asap. Your hand will tighten up and swell when you slow down. Make sure your jabs are up to date, if there is still a skelf in a couple of days, don't hack in with a pin or knife,meet to the DRS and get antibiotics and it removed.

I had to wear a splint for a week years ago and also nearly lost my finger due to being a numpty!

Had 1 go in 1 side of my thumb and out the other side once when I fell against a tree, now that smarted!!!