So what makes a good groundie?

leswold

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is unless you get a prima donna who gets his tickets and thinks he's to good to ground

Too true. Being a competent climber makes you more effective on the ground, being a good groundie can mean you're a better climber. Personally, I love doing both. If I'm on the deck I know what the climber expects, and when I'm climbing I make sure I do what I can to make the ground work go smoother.

Basically, I'm perfect.

Thing is with climbers/ex climbers is they can understand the problems you have up a tree better than pure groundies. Specifically how to let stuff drop and slow it rather than snatching it.

It's a hard, gutty, thankless, poorly paid job though, dangerous as well.

No one does tree work to get rich, we do it for the love of it. (And the endless stream of women)

I'm in this career for good. If I can't be rich, then I'll make damn sure I'm good at what I do!

Interestingly, it would be interesting to know how many company owners actually do the climbing themselves and have a groundy as opposed to vice versa.

I use a climber (I used to climb myself) almost entirely as I much prefer to do the groundwork as well as run the job in general, that way the climber can just concentrate entirely on the job itself rather than having to worry about little dramas unfolding on the ground (machinery breakdowns/customers etc). We are so much more productive working this way, I used to get much more stressed when I did the climbing myself and had groundies.

4 regular climbers including myself if I must.

Plus one retired London Borough tree officer.

I usually only get my harness on for really interesting trees or to cover holidays/sickness.

I've always too many other things to do on the ground.

Machinery querks to sort out, apprentice to coach/beat about the head and of course be such an arrogant omnipotent character I just like to strut about with a mobile clapped to my head with the other hand tickling my bits through a hole in my pocket...

Ty